PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
You think it's ok? Some "old timers" have done it. I just don't like to carry a bunch of pipes with me all day.
Can I smoke the same pipe a few times a day? How long should I let it sit between bowls.
Or is it better to smoke several pipes a day at one bowl/pipe/day?

Jul 15, 2011
Ask 10 different people this, you get 10 different answers. I always let my pipes rest about 24 hours before I use them again, but I don't really smoke all that often. I have heard of people that will let the pipe cool down for about an hour or so and then load it back up and smoke it, and they have had no ill effects doing this. I would say it would be a good idea to clean it after you smoke it and before you load it back up again. Not cleaning it between smokes could make it go all cruddy.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It's all preference man! Do what you want! I say either way is fine. Briar is pretty tough.
I think it applies more for $300+ pipes. A lot of people might be afraid to smoke more than one bowl a day out of their precious babies. But it is safe as long as you take care of it and don't smoke too hot.
If you're a hot smoker then limit it to one bowl a day or you're pipe won't last as long. Or get some cobs and abuse the hell out of em.
You're choice. I tend to do as I please with my pipes. But I don't own anything fancy. :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Conventional wisdom is to let your pipe rest 48 hours after a smoke, to give it time to cool and dry out. That will make your pipe last longer. Multiple bowls a day shouldn't hurt your pipe, but it will get foul a lot quicker. I have had a thin walled pipe crack because I smoked the thing constantly; I think the constant heating and cooling of continuously smoking one causes stress on the briar. If I take a pipe out with me and smoke 4 or five bowls back to back, I will put it in the rack for a few days before smoking it again.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
My pipe mentor, who is very experienced, has always told me one pipe a day, the only rule for that is you have to let it cool to room temp between smokes. He says that 5 days rest is the minimum, but everybody should have a collection of 31 pipe for a month haha, i have about ten so i follow the five day thing.
to each his own, but htis works for me, and it seems to work for hime, even though he has almost 100 pipes.
in short, do what you want, i know guys who have one pipe, and smoke one pipe every day all the time as well

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Ask 10 different people this, you get 10 different answers

+100 (-:
My own experience FWIW.

If I'm to be out for the day I'll carry 2 pipes.

For me, back to back bowls just rarely taste so good. With 2 pipes the 1st emptied will get a few hours of drying time before it's used again. With respect to the flavor from a pipe, the drying time can be critical.

Even when out and about I carry pipe cleaners so when a bowl is done the pipe can get a rudimentary cleaning.
hehe

Still waiting for UPS to deliver my "Rule Book" O-:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ok... Here's my 2 cents... and it is only my opinion.

If you have only one pipe... smoke it.

If you have 50 pipes... smoke one at a time.

Right now I'm on day 3 with my Bjarne Free Form.

If I want to take a puff and it's out I light it up.

If it's empty I stuff it and puff it.

If I just finished one bowl and want another... I stuff it and puff it, again.
Just run a pipe cleaner through it when you finish a bowl.

I've never had a problem chain smoking the same pipe for days on end.

:puffy:

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Ok thanks for the advice guys. I have 3 briars and 1 in the mail. I love yen so much, I don't want to stop smoking any of them! Hahaha. Lately I'll rarey smoke more than one or two bowls in on pipe per night. But because I love all my pipes, I want to smoke them everyday!! Haha. So maybe I'll just pick one for the evening and smoke it, letting it cool before smoking again.
I do tend to smoke hot, so maybe it should be one bowl/pipe/day.
I'm assuming that the better the break in process the more you can smoke it? Let the cake build up properly before doing consecutive bowls?

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I've had pipes that can smoke well all day, others that like to be smoked once every few days and everything in between. I think it depends on the pipe, the tobacco and the smoker.

Reactions: Tove

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I like to use a couple of pipes (one for each type of tobacco I enjoy) a day, both smoked multiple times, then let them rest for a couple of day. As long as you let them cool and clean them properly, things should be fine. One thing I've found that helps, is to give my pipes a real good clean about one a fortnight. I use pipe sweetener and plenty of pipe cleaners, to remove all the build up that gets left behind during a normal run through with pipe cleaners.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I do tend to smoke hot, so maybe it should be one bowl/pipe/day.
I'm assuming that the better the break in process the more you can smoke it? Let the cake build up properly before doing consecutive bowls?

Your pipes will last longer and tobacco will taste better if you learn to slow down, sip at the pipe. Smoking hot will detract from the flavor and shorten a pipes life!
I personally keep my cake at a bare minimum. Just enough to know there is some in the chamber.
All the "accepted" benefits of cake are, IMHO mind, obviated if you sip the pipe rather than puff.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Your pipes will last longer and tobacco will taste better if you learn to slow down, sip at the pipe
When tobacco first reached Europe, people talked about "drinking" from their pipes rather than "smoking". I think there is a lot to be said for that. Sipping allows the tastes of the tobacco to shine through.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Ok... Here's my 2 cents... and it is only my opinion.

If you have only one pipe... smoke it.

If you have 50 pipes... smoke one at a time.

Right now I'm on day 3 with my Bjarne Free Form.

If I want to take a puff and it's out I light it up.

If it's empty I stuff it and puff it.

If I just finished one bowl and want another... I stuff it and puff it.
+1 :puffy: A pipe will tell You when it needs to rest. That's what I can taste.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
From my experience a pipe will cool to room temperature fairly quickly ... an hour or two at the most.
But letting it dry I believe takes more time and does seem like a good idea, so you can get that proper "cake" build up in the bowl to protect your pipe.
I imagine though once the pipe has been well used and has a good cake layer, you could smoke it more often without too much worry.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I generally smoke about 3 bowls a day. I will do that in 3 different pipes - 1 bowl per pipe. Then I'll use those same pipes the next day, after cleaning, and then they rest for at least a week.

I do know guys that will smoke multiple bowls from one pipe in one day, running cleaners through them between bowls, and then letting them rest for several days.

Other guys do one bowl, and then let it rest for several days.
The only thing we all have in common is clean 'em and let 'em rest.
Of course, cobs and meers are different critters all together. I have no concern about smoking multiple bowls out of a cob.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I use pipe per day and it usually never really gets cooled off. I change filters as needed and swab it out with q-tips and a PC. It will get a thorough cleaning and will set in the racks for about three weeks before it comes up in rotation again.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i often smoke 2 or 3 bowls out of the same pipe in a day. yesterday i had 2 bowls in one pipe, switched to another pipe that's reserved for english blends and later cleaned the first pipe. then later on i felt like smoking the first pipe again, and smoked it again. after that last smoke the pipecleaner came out with just a little gray on it. i won't smoke that pipe today. maybe tomorrow or the day after, more likely.
i don't see a need to clean a pipe after every smoke and don't fee the need to let a pipe rest after only one bowl. same thing with filters - i use a grabow with the filter and after one smoke the filter isn't very dirty at all. i guess it probably depends on which tobaccos. if a pipe starts to gurgle on me that's the last smoke i'll use it for for the day, even if it's the first smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.