PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Maedhros

Lurker
Sep 9, 2024
South West Wales
Hi guys, I've recently become even more invested in pipe smoking, as of now I have 2 cobs and a Peterson 264 plus quite a lot of tobacco to boot. So far the blends I've tried that have really stuck out to me are Squadron Leader and Capstan Blue, others I've enjoyed but are not stand out to me are Cabbies Mix, St James Flake. So I've come to the conclusion I like Virginia's, I like English Blends, and I like VaPers but not as much as straight Virginia's. Should I try some burley next? Or arose? for now I'll be sticking to Capstan as my daily smoke with Squadron leader or navy rolls when it takes my fancy.

Reactions: KruegerFlap
Maybe ease into burleys. Many are going to suggest codger blends like Prince Albert and such, but those are basically OTS Aromatics.
I would suggest MacBarens Golden Extra or Stokkebyes Cube Cut. They are nice transitional blends that are very easy to smoke. Once you get a grasp of those, then you can move on to Kelly's Coin and other C&D blends with burleys.

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
As it appears you are in the UK, you’re going to have a different set of options than we have in the USA, so many suggestions may prove less useful than you hope! Perhaps our non-North American members may provide some ideas.

Reactions: Maedhros

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Nothing wrong with experimenting as often or as much as you like, but if you've found something you like it's not like you "should" try anything else. Do what you want, of course, but maybe explore more things within the genres you know you enjoy. University Flake would seem to fit in with that, IMO. Ideas about aromatics or burleys would be limitless, you could look somewhere like Tobacco Reviews to get an idea of which ones might have a makeup that ties in with something you like.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
My approach was to try representative blends in as many genres and sub-genres as possible, as well as occasional oddballs that did not neatly fit in any category. Only then did I begin working more deeply into genres I liked best

Reactions: Maedhros

Maedhros

Lurker
Sep 9, 2024
South West Wales
Nothing wrong with experimenting as often or as much as you like, but if you've found something you like it's not like you "should" try anything else. Do what you want, of course, but maybe explore more things within the genres you know you enjoy. University Flake would seem to fit in with that, IMO. Ideas about aromatics or burleys would be limitless, you could look somewhere like Tobacco Reviews to get an idea of which ones might have a makeup that ties in with something you like.
Thanks for the advice!

Maedhros

Lurker
Sep 9, 2024
South West Wales
GL Pease Windjammer to ease into burleys, given that you like VaPers.
I shall have to check it out! I like Va/Pers, i do find them fussier than straight VAs but that's just me and nothing crazy just find myself needing to give Navy rolls for example a little more attention than Capstan Blue. At the moment, i'm really liking Capstan and if asked would say i prefer Virginias, followed by Va/Pers tied with English. I could smoke Virginias & English all day though. Perhaps i'm still learning the ropes with Va/Pers, something i like but need to be a little more careful with.

Maedhros

Lurker
Sep 9, 2024
South West Wales
I'm happy to import from 4 noggins, have done in the past but realise it can be expensive. The Peterson 264 has been a gamechanger, just had the creamiest, most delicious smoke out of it!

Reactions: Pipke

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
As much as I would love to, I simply cannot afford to buy a pouch of every Latakia blend out there. I've tried about 3 or 4 dozen in the past couple of years, and some are ok, but none have really hit the spot. I think my problem is that I remember just how good blends were 50 years ago and today's just don't measure up. They all have a "sharpness" I just don't like. I prefer a smooth, rich latakia flavor that doesn't irritate my tongue and the roof of my mouth. There must be one out there somewhere.

So, if any of you have a suggestion? I would love to hear what it is. Thanks much. puffy

Reactions: bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
As much as I would love to, I simply cannot afford to buy a pouch of every Latakia blend out there. I've tried about 3 or 4 dozen in the past couple of years, and some are ok, but none have really hit the spot. I think my problem is that I remember just how good blends were 50 years ago and today's just don't measure up. They all have a "sharpness" I just don't like. I prefer a smooth, rich latakia flavor that doesn't irritate my tongue and the roof of my mouth. There must be one out there somewhere.

So, if any of you have a suggestion? I would love to hear what it is. Thanks much. puffy
Reminiscing Syrian Lat? Heard on the other thread C&D has been using Turkish Lat for last year or so. Some can't tell the difference, others think it's less in your face?