PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I cannot comment on tins but I've brought through a few ounces of bulk with no issue.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I do it all the time; never an issue, even when I have loose tobacco in unmarked plastic bags.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
+1 with billinsfl... Never been an issue for me. I once had 8 in my carry-on since I had a case of TAD on one of my business trips :rofl:

I usually have at least one, sometimes opened, sometimes not. They've never asked me to take it out of my carry-on (thus far). I fly at least once a month, usually twice.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I wouldnt know if i cant get there by driving I dont go. I have issues with being molsted by goverment agencys

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I carried a tin of Squadron Leader in my carry-on from Dallas to SeaTac and back and didn't get a hassle. Of course, I regularly try and see how many connections I can make without them finding the water bottles in my pack. My record is 3.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
I've been flying around the last couple of months with at least a half dozen tins in my carry-on (actually, my entire carry on has been filled with pipe tobacco in one form or another) and have had no real problems. On the way out of St. Louis I did get asked what was in the bag, because they were confused by the actual shape of the tin. They never bothered to open the bag, however.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Baronsmedi, you are a daredevil! I've never been stopped for a tobacco tin, but don't fly that often. My daughter flew home and back to New Orleans this past Christmas with a Buck knife with a 4" serrated blade in her pocketbook (she forgot it was there) with no issues. Comforting, eh?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Just remember to carry matches if you want to light up when you get off the plane. I have lost many a lighter to the security. And of course Zippo has to be empty and in a case.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Don't know about the lighter part. You can now fly in the US with a fueled lighter in your carry on bag. I fly with a Zippo and have never had an issue with it. I have flown many times with my trusty Dunhill, but have had to explain to security on several occasions it's not a torch/cigar lighter. Most of the time TSA employees only recognize Bic lighters and Zippos; they have no knowledge of other types of lighters. Lighters now only have to be empty and in a case when they are stowed in checked baggage, not carry on.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I've traveled with sealed and unsealed tins, pouches, and plastic baggies and have never had a problem.
I do take out any metal pipe nails, etc from my pipe bag and carry a wooden dowel for tamping.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I haven't carried tins, but have on several occasions carried tobacco in glass jars in my carry on and never been asked. As for lighters, I always carry my Pipe Maggie and only thing I've had to do is first tell them what it is, then show them how it works. I always put that in one of the bins so they can see it.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
here is what is in my travel pouch.
Tobacco: Tins, baggies

Pipes: usually 2, sometimes 3

Tools: Czech tool

Fire: Bic lighter, matches
Never had a problem. And as mentioned, I travel quite a lot. The whole lighter thing is highly overrated out there. I've traveled with zippo's, torch lighters, my Vector pipe lighter, ...all without issue. It all depends on the TSA agent. Lately, I just don't take the risk or don't want the hassle, so I take Big lighters. They are allowed and never an issue. No risk of having to explain or have it taken away. So it's just easier to avoid the hassle or losing something you care about. The Czech tool goes through just fine each time. I think they may see it on the X-ray right next to the pipes and can imagine what it is. And even if they do take it, it's a dollar.
Kevin, I see this topic pop up quite regularly. Sticky perhaps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.