PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Anyone know anything about these stamps on the underside of the stem near the stummel? The top picture is a Giubileo D'Oro, and the bottom one is a Punto. Production years unknown.

stamp1.jpgstamp2.jpg

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Perhaps it’s the interior diameter, which will accommodate a 6 millimeter filter or adapter.
Didn't think of that. Probably the case. Maybe that's when they started using balsa filters, so they marked those stems to tell them apart from the regular stock???

If anyone else has seen this, maybe it would help dating the pipes. These are on smokingpipes.com. I just bought the GD'O. It's "legacy stock" so I don't know when the pipe was produced. I checked the other legacy stock pictures and found the same stamp.

Reactions: STP

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had dozens of Savinellis, a few Giubileo d'Oros, and haven't seen that one before. It does look like a filter indication though.

Reactions: didimauw

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It would be helpful to know dates. 1975 to 2005 still doesn't help. I wonder if those are just old stummels with new stems? My 3 Punto Oro pipes all have "hand cut" on the underside. They were all purchased new last year. And they all take a filter.

PXL_20221005_225103406.MP.jpg

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I wonder if those are just old stummels with new stems?
Seems kind of doubtful because new stems don't say "6m" on the bottom of them. What makes you think they might be new stems?

My 3 Punto Oro pipes all have "hand cut" on the underside. They were all purchased new last year. And they all take a filter.
Are they all acrylic?

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Just a thought.

Yes all my Punto Oros are acrylic. Yours is vulcanite on the GDO right? Maybe that's the difference.
Yeah vulcanite. I don't buy acrylic stemmed pipes anymore.

Oh well. I guess no one on here has seen that stamping before. I'll have to be satisfied in the knowledge the pipe was made "sometime between 1975 and 2005". Not actually important, but it's nice to know if you're buying a vintage briar how vintage it is. I'll ask the rep about it but I doubt they know or else they would have been more specific in the listing. Too bad Savinelli never used date stamps on their stummels. This will be be my second high end Savinelli of unknown provenance.

Reactions: didimauw

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Since this thread got reanimated, here's that pipe, which I bought, smoked once and returned. Ever seen a cracked stem straight from the factory before?

IMG_3039.jpeg
IMG_8138.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Lees65GTO