Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
This is one of my favorite pipes. It's a Savinelli Punto Oro 4001 (late 50's/early 60's I believe). You can see the resemblance to the modern 401 shape but this is more refined and elegant in appearance, to my eye at least. Also, while it resembles somewhat the Capri finish, this is different.
Here's where I'm hoping someone can fill in some blanks. The pipe came unsmoked with the original box. The sticker on the box says "Roccia di Mare" (Rock of the Sea? Sea Rock?) and 401, though the pipe is stamped 4001.
I can't find anything anywhere mentioning Roccia di Mare. I'm very familiar with Savinelli's Corallo di Mare finish, which my pipe resembles. Any Savinelli historians have any information on this pipe, specifically the potential rarity of the finish.
image-600x302.jpg

image1-600x450.jpg

image2-600x450.jpg

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Interesting one and nice catch. Never heard of that old line. Pre Capri/ Corallo?! Strange that the box is 3 digit and pipe is 4. Made near the changeover? I've heard of a few pipers emailing Sav directly with questions and they actually get responses. I'd be interested to hear what they say.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I looked through quite a few things and I could not find that line. It sounds like you bought it around the time Sav was just getting introduced to the States so maybe a holdover from their lines prior to that.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I looked at a 1970 Iwan Ries catalog on pipepages.com, and it shows various Punto Oro's in a finish they are calling Black Bark. Unfortunately the image quality is not the best and it's difficult to tell if this is the same finish. It looks like it could be. Still it doesn't account for Roccia di Mare. It seems possible Savinelli ran into trouble with Castello and their Sea Rock finish, and withdrew Roccia di Mare to avoid ruffling any feathers. That's all speculation, of course.
This also brings up the question of dating Savinelli pipes. It seems most commonly agreed that Savinelli switched from four digit shape numbers to three in the early seventies. But there are people claiming sixties, with Mr. Can claiming prior to 1960. I have a few clues to help date these more accurately but it would require backup evidence from someone with information that I don't have.
So here's the thing, I also own a Punto Oro Corallo di Mare 504. This pipe was also acquired unsmoked with the original box and box contents.
To compare the 504 and the 4001:
On the surface, I'd already assume that the 504 is more recent production than the 4001 if I go by the shape numbers, but it turns out that isn't true. The shape chart in the catalog that came with the 504 shows three, 3-digit shapes alongside a majority of 4-digit shapes; the 3-digit shapes being the 504, 502, and 623. So 3 and 4-digit shapes did coexist at one time. Here's where it gets possible to narrow in on a more precise year. In the catalog I'm referring to, the only models offered are the Giubeleo D'oro, Punto Oro, Deluxe Milano, and Extra. I also have the catalog that came with the 4001 but remember the box says 401. This catalog only shows 3-digit shapes so it must be more recent. It also has more models listed, including the Corallo di Mare which was not included in the older catalog. The Capri line is also now present along with many others. If anyone knows when these models were introduced, it would narrow things down a bit.
Here are a few other clues:
Both pipes came with gold-plated, removable inner tubes. They are identical except the newer one from the 401 box has two extra holes in the side of it while the older 504 tube is solid with no holes. Also, and this is super minutiae, the drawstring on the pipe sock from the 401 box is white, while the 504 is brown. And, more minutiae, the 401 box has a sticker indicating the finish and shape number, while the 504 box is rubber-stamped on the bottom "504" and "Corallo". Again, if anyone can pinpoint these details, it would help narrow down production years. I'm thinking that my 4001 is probably a late production 4-digit that ended up in a 401 box, and probably happened at the factory when they still had 4-digit pipes but had switched to the 3-digit system. I bought the 4001 NOS from the leftover stock of a shop that closed in 1972, and it came with everything brand new and untouched, pipe sock, inner tube, and catalog.
Maybe I'll get around to posting pictures of all this if anyone cares, where's misterlowercase when you need him? Please forgive my rambling and any incoherency. I typed all this out on an iPhone. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I would contact Savinelli. You might be pleasantly surprised. As you probably know by now Roccia is rock in Italian. The carving is really quite nice. It would be interesting to find out who developed the style. Clearly, there must have been marketing or patent concern as even in Italy Castello markets the pipes as Sea Rock .
Anyway, the shaping is great! Would love to see that in todays line up.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I like the minutiae my self. I saw the pipe pages Sav pamplet/catalog that has the 4 grades you mention. Along with mostly 4 digits and a few 3 digit shape numbers. I would second contacting savinelli, worst case they dont know , but maybe they have better records than most other pipe factories that seem to have caught fire at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.