PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Okay, I was greatly excited when I received my 320KS for Father's Day, but greatly let down on the 1st smoke... It felt like I was trying to suck peanut butter through a straw just trying to get my tobacco lit. ? I thought "Surely with the great reputation this pipe has something has to be wrong here?" I thought at first it was maybe due to the filter being too snuggly fit, but I've encountered that in other pipes and this restriction is nothing compared to other filtered pipes I've smoked. So after I finished a rather disappointing smoke, I started to check out the pipe, and discovered that the restriction is coming from the stem alone. Blowing in and out of the stem you can barely feel any air coming through. I tried to measure the draft hole, but could not get my calipers on it. So I tried to stick a 2.0mm drill bit in it and it would not fit!?! I was rather shocked by that. How could such a big stem have such a tiny draft hole? No doubt that bent portion of the stem is pinching that tiny hole and greatly restricting the airflow. Is this a quality issue or is this the way the 320KS is made? Please tell me its the former. I used to work in quality so I understand these type of things happen. Could some of you who own a 320 check your draft hole at the button and tell me the diameter your getting? I did just send Savinelli an email about it, but I thought I'd check the board here and see what comes up. Thank you!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I took some quick measurements of about five of the fifteen 320 pipes I had on hand with a digital micrometer. The narrowest slot was about 1.23 mm with the widest about 2.23 mm. Regardless of measurements, the draw seems fine on all of them. Hope this helps.

Reactions: PiperCalvinist

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I took some quick measurements of about five of the fifteen 320 pipes I had on hand with a digital micrometer. The narrowest slot was about 1.23 mm with the widest about 2.23 mm. Regardless of measurements, the draw seems fine on all of them. Hope this helps.
Thank you! Wow, so it is that small. Well, there must be some obstruction going inside at the bend. I guess I’ll see what Savinelli says.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive had some bent pipes that closed down at the bend too. Its frustrating. Ive one pipe I like a lot that does it a little. It takes a 9mm filter. I always use a new filter with that pipe so I get a free draw.

Reactions: PiperCalvinist

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
FOLLOW UP
Well, Savinelli told me I could send it in and they would look at it and see what they could to do to put it in good smoking condition. I appreciated that, but got a little impatient waiting for their response, so I thought I'd just run a 2mm drill bit up the stem through the button and I did end up taking out a small portion of acrylic at the bend, and even some small fragments of pipe cleaner material. So clearly something was going on at the bend that was restricting airflow. I then followed that up with a 2.5mm bit, and now I'm getting great airflow! Pretty happy about that! In fact, that was so easy I may venture into turning this pipe into a 9mm. Thanks for all the input!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
What do you mean by “a V”?

This thread might help you understand modifying a V shaped slot:

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123