PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Marcel0075

Lurker
Jan 17, 2022
Gentlemen’s could you advice me please what exact machines are you using to blast the pipes, what kits, i can’t find any information. I would like to get the machines complete set up and start to experiment. Any tips would be very appreciated. Thank you

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
There's no specific kit, you need a blasting cabinet, a huge compressor (like you need 15cfm at 90psi sustained, at minimum), something to filter and dry the air, and a media mixture that will etch briar without burning or simply destroying the wood. You're in for a few thousand dollars at the very least. What you can find will depend entirely on where you live.

docaitch

Lurker
May 15, 2018
As Todd says, the best set ups use large 60-80 gallon tanks and 12-15 cfpm. Most pipe makers use fine (170-320) glass beads for general blasting, although you can get very fancy with different media- Walt Cannoy’s suede blast is reportedly done with briar dust as the medium.
Hear say has it that J T Cooke uses up to 5 separate cabinets/guns/ media types and takes 20 hours to blast a pipe.
One very good maker in my area uses a 20 gallon tank/compressor but this only allows a brief period of blasting at full pressure, followed by waiting for the tank to re pressurize. It takes him much longer to blast a pipe because of the intermittent style.
DocAitch