PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

billjohnso20

Lurker
Dec 4, 2019
I've looked for a thread about the safety of smoking sandalwood pipes on this site and online but I'm not finding anything definitive. I see these pipes everywhere. (I have briar, maple, hickory, pear, and corn cob pipes and love what each brings to the smoking experience.) But I'm wondering about the safety of sandalwood. Are these pipes safe or are they to be avoided like rosewood, ebony, oak, etc.?

Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I am not qualified to comment on the health/safety aspects of a sandalwood pipe but many members of the Santalaceae family of plants have qualities that would make them less than ideal for such use.

The question that I would ask myself is:
Is considering purchasing/using this pipe worth the risk, given the uncertainty that I already have?

If the answer is Yes; the first question that you should ask the manufacturer is:
Which sandalwood is this pipe made from?

Briarcutter

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
Personally, I would not buy one. In reality, can the wood be any more harmful than the tobacco? But then, would you want to add an additional risk? Just a thought.

ThomasS

Can't Leave
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
Sandalwood seems like it would be far too soft, and the resin is quite flammable (half my family is from India, and it's used rather a lot in firey ways, but never as a thing to contain a fire). I suppose if it had a thick enough coating that it might as well be meerschaum then it might work, and would probably smell very nice the first few times you smoked it.

I have made pipes from Cherry and Walnut, and you absolutely have to coat or char them with a pencil-torch or similar. "Breaking in" a raw cherry pipe is an exceedingly unpleasant experience that takes some weeks to recover from. If you can draw more than once from a raw Walnut pipe then you have a cast iron mouth. I would expect a raw sandalwood pipe to be exceedingly acrid as the vaporized resin went into your mouth, and I would also expect the bowl to catch fire.

Reactions: Bbailey324