PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ziv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2024
South Florida
How do you like your pipe - with a drink to accompany it or alone? (like real men... sorry, that's a different thread)
What is your drink of choice?

For me, I find that having a drink not only helps cool things down when they start getting a bit hot, but it also lets me taste the tobacco more. Like my taste buds get overwhelmed, and water helps cleanse them.
I think light beer might do the same, but I'm not sure about stronger beer or say whiskey - would not it irritate taste buds even more?

Last edited:
We've recently had one of these threads, but you may not have seen it. No worries, I can do this again...

I usually prefer ice water or coffee with my pipe. I don't like to drink alcohol, like a rye or bourbon while smoking a pipe, because it strips the slimy coating off of the inside of your mouth, leaving it more vulnerable to developing anomalies that can cause cancers. The radioshow and the forums has had experts talk about this.

I will drink a glass of wine with a pipe, because it is not strong enough to strip away that lining... but even though I own a winery, I don't like to drink wine that often.

bpinkstaff

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
For me I usually pair with Whiskey! I like a glass while i smoke over ice and prefer Blanton's or Buffalo Trace! Though i will say a cherry type of Whiskey with a cherry tobacco is very delicious! Von Payne for Cherry Tabacco!

ziv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2024
South Florida
We've recently had one of these threads, but you may not have seen it. No worries, I can do this again...

I usually prefer ice water or coffee with my pipe. I don't like to drink alcohol, like a rye or bourbon while smoking a pipe, because it strips the slimy coating off of the inside of your mouth, leaving it more vulnerable to developing anomalies that can cause cancers. The radioshow and the forums has had experts talk about this.

I will drink a glass of wine with a pipe, because it is not strong enough to strip away that lining... but even though I own a winery, I don't like to drink wine that often.
I must have missed it, my apologies.
And thanks for the response!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Anything non-alcoholic when smoking. Typically Diet Pepsi, Diet Mountain Dew, Diet Dr. Pepper. Sometimes, but rarely coffee or tea.

Reactions: ziv

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
Usually I drink black tea (Russian Caravan is a favorite), black coffee, or water with my tobacco.
When I go for liquor, I think I've settled on aquavit as my favorite partner. The carraway and such acts as a palate cleanser to bring the leaf's flavor back into focus.

Reactions: SunriseBoy and ziv

ziv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2024
South Florida
Usually I drink black tea (Russian Caravan is a favorite), black coffee, or water with my tobacco.
When I go for liquor, I think I've settled on aquavit as my favorite partner. The carraway and such acts as a palate cleanser to bring the leaf's flavor back into focus.
Never had aquavit or even heard of it before!