PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I just got my first tin of Samuel Gawith full strength mixture. I have not smoked any yet, because it is far too moist. It smells nice and spicy though. Any thoughts on this before I give it a go.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
made a small order last night and was gonna add this but went with Kendall Cream flake, havent smoked either one so im no help haha hope it smokes well for ya!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Personally I really like it. But Im a HUGE Lat fan.

Let it dry out a bit and take it a bit easy if your not used to big Lat blends.

In fact you just made me want some... too bad im am really under the weather at the moment ... but for sure this weekend i'll be packing up a bowl :puffy:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Gents I'm not looking to derail the thread but how does this stuff compare to Balkan Flake?
I'm not that big a fan, it's rather plain - even with age...
I assume that Commonwealth just has a higher lat percentage?

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Ok I smoked a bowl, and it was very tasty. Only one problem ...........it was hard to keep lit. Very wierd because I smoked it in my Armellini which is usually a great smoker.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I keep a stash of Commonwealth on hand. It's an all day smoker for me but not everyday due to cost and availability. It does need a bit of drying time, load the bowl let it sit around for about a half hour ( here in Anchorage anyways, which has a cold desert climate ).
Simenon, to me Balkan Flake tastes lighter in both the Lat and overall flavour. Commonwealth is quite the Lat bomb, but even so there are woodsy and sometimes even sweet notes to it, and a very smooth profile. I have smoked Lat bombs from this side of the pond that are rough, except of course Mr Pease's creations. Commonwealth is similar to GLP blends .... imagine GLP Westminster without the Orientals ( not that they're all that noticeable anyway .... )

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Yep, I set out a nice healthy bowl full until it was nice and ready. The pipe may have not rested enough. I have a cob ready for another go. Cobs never fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.