PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Some of my best smokes have been with FVF, but sometimes a bowl is just so-so.

hp
les
I could see that being the case. This flake was already sporting some crystals despite its relative youth, but I could see longer age maybe bringing out some of the fruit others report. BBF just delivered loads of flavors in a very uncomplicated way. Nuanced but accessible. FVF made me feel like I needed to Sherlock out with a magnifying glass to unlock its mysteries.
Honestly, the comparison could have went very differently if I'd smoked the tobaccos in reverse order. Maybe next time.?

Reactions: BROBS

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I may have developed some permanent synesthesia as a result of youthful indiscretions ??, but it seems to help with describing sensory input in abstract ways.

• Haha
Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I really admire your discernment and taste buds rushx9. That was a very descriptive review. I still have my doubts about these 3 being the same tobaccos steamed for various times. I know that info comes from an insider but, it flies in the face of some of their own product descriptions. I will try to look up some of these and post. I know that I have seen GG described as bright VA and BBF and FVF described as having VA from several continents. I will update when I research further.

Reactions: rushx9

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Just doing a rudimentary check on some of the European sites that i frequent and I see GG described as having a blend of air cured VA and BBF and FVF listed as being flue cured VA before they are all pressed. I am not saying that this is a more reliable source than an insider. Observationally, I am inclined to believe there is different components. The other point that makes me question the simple steaming is my BBF always appears darker than my FVF which, is supposedly steamed for a longer time. I would think the reverse would be the case.

BTW SG does sell both a Bright VA and a Brown VA in other countries labeled as for blending (available in 50g, 100g and 250g).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Great review! There are many fine VAs on the market. If I were active I would save for 5 lbs of Pease Union Square; but no, maybe 15 lbs of his blends slated for demolition by the FDA.

But you can't go wrong with the Gawith VAs.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
The other point that makes me question the simple steaming is my BBF always appears darker than my FVF which, is supposedly steamed for a longer time. I would think the reverse would be the case.
That's interesting. As you can see in the pic I took, in my samples the FVF was quite a bit darker than BBF. I'm not sure about the components though. I think a lot of the blend info out there is as confusing as it is informative. Hell, Orlik had everyone thinking their most popular blend was a VaBur for years before Kevin came along and straightened things out?! I don't think BBF and FVF are only comprised of flue cured tobacco though. There is likely some air cured African Va in all 3.

Reactions: BROBS and dcon

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Great review BBF is an underrated tobacco.I like your description' I get deep whole-grain bread' that is the first taste that hits me.
FVF for me, still remains the quintessential virginia blend.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That's interesting. As you can see in the pic I took, in my samples the FVF was quite a bit darker than BBF. I'm not sure about the components though. I think a lot of the blend info out there is as confusing as it is informative. Hell, Orlik had everyone thinking their most popular blend was a VaBur for years before Kevin came along and straightened things out?! I don't think BBF and FVF are only comprised of flue cured tobacco though. There is likely some air cured African Va in all 3.
I agree I think it’s a mix.

and I’m not sure why your BBF would be darker than your FVF @dcon. Older tobacco than the FVF? It should be a step in color between golden glow and FVF. My FVF is usually almost black. ? (As represented by Rush’s pic)

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I agree I think it’s a mix.

and I’m not sure why your BBF would be darker than your FVF @dcon. Older tobacco than the FVF? It should be a step in color between golden glow and FVF. My FVF is usually almost black. ? (As represented by Rush’s pic)
I am cellared deep on all of the SG VA (purchased mainly over the last four years) and a great many of the tins and 250g boxes are still sealed. The jars that, I currently smoke from, are probably between 2-3 years old. My BBF and FVF are both jet black. The flakes are not identical in texture, which reinforces my belief that the blends are different. When these were new, the BBF was a deep brown and the FVF was actually a deep gold color (much richer than GG), as best as I recall. I probably don’t have any SG less than a year old so, I imagined all have gotten darker.

Reactions: burleyboy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I am cellared deep on all of the SG VA (purchased mainly over the last four years) and a great many of the tins and 250g boxes are still sealed. The jars that, I currently smoke from, are probably between 2-3 years old. My BBF and FVF are both jet black. The flakes are not identical in texture, which reinforces my belief that the blends are different. When these were new, the BBF was a deep brown and the FVF was actually a deep gold color (much richer than GG), as best as I recall. I probably don’t have any SG less than a year old so, I imagined all have gotten darker.
I still bet the bbf is older by the date codes.

Reactions: dcon

londonbriar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2019
London-ish, UK
Comparison. The tobaccos don't jump out as being obviously the same blend, although they do seem to lead from one into the next with a little overlap. The very bottom of a bowl of GG tastes a bit like the start of BBF and the end of a bowl of BBF has some of the qualities of FVF.
GG seemed bright and fresh and paired well with coffee. I could see it being a good hot weather smoke. I expected FVF to be my clear favorite but BBF surprised me with more pop and a nice malty-sweet flavor. Descriptive superlatives just flowed when taking notes on BBF. It's nice when the flavors come to you instead of having to search for them. I appreciate the subtlety of FVF but it left me wanting something more.
All three could certainly have a spot in the rotation, but if I had to pick one to cellar it'd be Best Brown, hands down. ?

I have to say, this was a fun and educational little journey through Lakeland's most iconic Virginia flakes that really showed me the power of those ancient steam presses!

Many thanks for your reviews, good reading!

These three Virginias are absolute pillars of my tobacco bar. If I am not smoking a latakia blend, more than likely I am smoking one of these.

Like you, I have been smitten with Best Brown Flake above the other two for a long while now. Don't get me wrong - GG and FVF are delicious, but to me BBF has that malty-richness that elevates it above its brothers.

Your information regarding the blends is the same as I understand them to be - from memory, Golden Glow is cold pressed for a couple of hours, BBF is hot pressed for a couple of hours, FVF is hot pressed overnight. But I couldn't tell you where I first heard that!

Age-wise, they all do well, but I tend to think that FVF improves the most dramatically. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I won't smoke it without at least 2 years of age on it. My cellar can accomodate that now. The best FVF I have ever had was a 250g bulk packed, stored in a cage-top for a couple of years.

If you are a fan of these three and like to add a little condiment to your Virginas, I'd thoroughly recommend Sam's Flake (FVF + Turkish and a little tonquin), St James Flake (FVF + Perique) and Cabbie's Mixture (Golden Glow plus perique - to my tastes).

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.