PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Clip

Lurker
May 14, 2024
Southern Indiana
In general I have a very wet mouth, even when not smoking. But I have found when I clench a pipe, I salivate excessively.I also don’t find it very comfortable on my teeth. This leads me to typically hold a pipe; which isn’t a huge deal since I read and smoke typically. Does salivating go away eventually? Or is clenching just not for everyone?

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I have the same problem as you, but with a little attention, I can keep the pipe in my mouth for about a minute or a little less, without problems; then I take it in my hand - also to rest my teeth - I swallow and put it back in my mouth.

Reactions: BlueMaxx and Clip

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
I think pipe design makes a difference here as well, with respect to salivation. A larger, bent pipe may be more conducive to collecting saliva in the stem than a smaller billiard design, for example. Something to consider. Also the way the pipe is held. If clenching just behind the button and allowing the pipe to have a downward cant, also more conducive. If a smaller, lightweight, straight billiard is clenched a little farther back with the sides of the teeth finding a comfortable spot which reduces weight on the teeth and keeps the pipe more upright, i'd think this would both be a more comfortable position for longer clenching and less conducive to the collection of saliva in the process due to position and orientation.

In addition, over life things change as well. I never was much of a clencher for most of my piping years until relatively recently. My tastes trended toward larger, chunkier danish styles and slowly gravitated toward lighter, Italian briars and finally i'm starting to really appreciate smaller bowls and clenching became a natural part of that experience. Also find myself smoking more pipes while driving these days, which used to be a time when i'd smoke more cigars. Things change, preferences evolve, techniques develop, the discoveries never end, hence we call it the pipe journey. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueMaxx and Clip

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Do you have this issue all the time when you clench or only sometimes? I have the same issue and find it's the worst when clenching and moving. Also seemingly my pipes with the widest bits encourage the salivating while the narrower ones discourage it.

Reactions: dottlejockey

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
In general I have a very wet mouth, even when not smoking. But I have found when I clench a pipe, I salivate excessively.I also don’t find it very comfortable on my teeth. This leads me to typically hold a pipe; which isn’t a huge deal since I read and smoke typically. Does salivating go away eventually? Or is clenching just not for everyone?
Habituation / practice made a lot of difference over time for me.
Initially I felt like one of those dogs that always has slobber dribbling out of it's mouth.
Now, not so much.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
This is why Peterson invented a System Pipe, also Falcon pipes works with wet smoking plus other makes deal with it, I have a wet mouth but don't clench, if I don't use a system pipe I sit and always make sure that I tilt the pipe upwards, I have been smoking a pipe since the 60's and have developed a technique to combat a wet mouth.

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
Wet here also, but with filter pipes it's not as much as a problem with saliva in the pipe as wet lips. I tend to take it out and wipe my mouth some. Also spitting off the porch happens. Having a drink nearby to sip on intermittently helps to mitigate that also..

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
It'll get better with time.

When I was a kid and I would put a dip of snuff in my mouth I'd be spitting every 10 seconds.

The drooling on your pipes thing probably goes away once your mouth gets used to having smoke in it all the time.
Yes this is the best answer. If you *think* about drooling you might.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I dont know about this "wet smoker" thing...

You really ain't supposed to be drooling down the pipe stem.

Can you imagine how bad that would foul up a pipe after a salad with blue cheese, or a chili dog with those strong onions.

There aren't any rules, and slobber if you wish... But damn.

images (2).jpeg

Last edited: