PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
I am a delicate flower. I love my aromatics. Of late I have been exploring the broad spectrum of aromatic blends.
Captain Black, one of the elder statesmen of tobaccos, was the first subject of my exploration. Of the seven seas of Captain Black, I sailed only five.
Captain Black - The Original
This was a calm sea with no wind to fill the sails. A literal horse latitude in tobacco. I like my aromatics to call forth a panoply of vanillas, chocolates, whiskey and cream. The Original of the seven seas, is a smooth smoke but nothing too exciting.

Captain Black - Gold
Another flat sea with a nice room note, but nothing special.

Captain Black - Copper
This was the best of the bland blends. Nice room note, and pleasant tobacco flavor. It lacked all the delightful fragrance of my usual blends, it wasn't without its pleasant cross breezes.

Captain Black - Dark
This blend had the room note I look for, but lacked the flavor. The sea was dark and choppy.

Captain Black - Royal
Royal? a lofty title for a lacking blend. Royal has a solid room note but it lacked power and authority of a "royal".

Captain Black - Red
Red sky at night, a sailors delight. Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning.......

Captain Black - Grape
Do not sail the wine dark sea.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
At over $50 per tub those ships can sail. Owner of a local Golf range smokes only Capt White and crop dusts his acreage while driving his caged tractor to collect balls. It’s amazing the area one lit pipe can cover.... if it’s Capt Black.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I am a delicate flower. I love my aromatics. Of late I have been exploring the broad spectrum of aromatic blends.
Captain Black, one of the elder statesmen of tobaccos, was the first subject of my exploration. Of the seven seas of Captain Black, I sailed only five.
Captain Black - The Original
This was a calm sea with no wind to fill the sails. A literal horse latitude in tobacco. I like my aromatics to call forth a panoply of vanillas, chocolates, whiskey and cream. The Original of the seven seas, is a smooth smoke but nothing too exciting.

Captain Black - Gold
Another flat sea with a nice room note, but nothing special.

Captain Black - Copper
This was the best of the bland blends. Nice room note, and pleasant tobacco flavor. It lacked all the delightful fragrance of my usual blends, it wasn't without its pleasant cross breezes.

Captain Black - Dark
This blend had the room note I look for, but lacked the flavor. The sea was dark and choppy.

Captain Black - Royal
Royal? a lofty title for a lacking blend. Royal has a solid room note but it lacked power and authority of a "royal".

Captain Black - Red
Red sky at night, a sailors delight. Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning.......

Captain Black - Grape
Do not sail the wine dark sea.
Tried the Captain Black "Black Sea"? Latakia,and not bad.

Reactions: danimalia and STP

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
I usually by my tobacco from Arlington Pipe and Cigar lounge in Arlington Heights, IL. They have a huge selection of tobacco, but I wanted to review Captain Black as it is heritage tobacco. Besides, I have three Captain Black pipes, I thought "The pipes are good, what about the tobacco?"

RainKing

Might Stick Around
May 24, 2020
To each their own. I struggle enjoying the Capt. Don’t get me wrong, they offer a good nose and room note. Unfortunately for me that’s where it stops. Some great comparable blends out there that I feel taste better, have less gurgle and are even smoother. MacBaren, Lane, sutliff, etc. But at the end of the day, the heart wants what the heart wants , if you love it, smoke the hell out of it !

Reactions: danimalia

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
You forgot Cherry... Nonetheless, I actually like their Original/White, and Royal is OK. I’ve tried Lane’s 1-Q (Royal) and RLP-6 (White), which are good, but prefer CB comparatively. Many focus on all the humectants... and the propylene glycol that CB uses to keep their tobacco moist as it sits on a shelves, but many others use the same or similar stuff. If going with an OTC, then you could certainly do a lot worse than CB IMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.