PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I noticed that pipes that are rusticated generally tend to have lower price tags than the same pipe with a smooth finish. I figure part of this may be due to rusticating being useful for hiding imperfections in the wood, but is there another reason why a rusty would be less valuable?
Also, I've never seen a rusticated that wasn't dark colored. Is there a reason for this? Is the darker color a stain or a result of the rusticating process?

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
By and large you are correct. It's not so much that rusticated pieces are less expensive than others; instead think about this in terms of how rare, and thus expensive, really nice briar can be. Also, Tom Eltang does some rusticated work with very light stains.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Like Ted said.
Try flipping your perspective. Don't think of rusticated pipes as having a lesser value but more perfect smooth pipes having a higher value. Look at rusticated pipes as the starting price and go up from there.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Thanks for the response.
Don't get me wrong, I love rusticated pipes. I was mainly curious as to whether or not there was a practical reason (heat dissipation, weakening the wood, ect.) why they are priced lower or if it truly was just a matter of wood grain and looks.
Next question: What is the difference between "rusticated finish" and "sandblast finish"? I know that sounds silly, but I can't see a difference between the two.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
They are two different processes. Dig around and you can find a lot of information on sandblasting. Sandblasting will (usually, hopefully) show off the briar's grain in a 'different' way whereas rustication involves hand carving into the wood with tools; the process doesn't ordinarily reveal the wood's grain. If you look at the difference between many rusticated and many sandblasted pipes you will recognize the difference in technique.

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
The most recent posts from unclearthur show some really cool partial rustications.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The actual process I use is simple.

1 Place pipe to be rusticated in Left hand

2 Apply rusticating tool to pipe

3 push and twist

4 repeat

5 rusticate Left hand

6 bandage hand and repeat from 3

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Some folks say that rusticated and sandblasted pipes dissipate heat by reason of greater surface area.

For me, with arthritis, they offer a better tactile sensation and grip; as well as visual interest.

As to price, at Pipes2Smoke.com they claim the various grades of Castellos are based on finish,

but alledgedly deliver the same quality smoke.

So I guess it depends on appearance and amount of work invested.
Rusticated with light stain by Dr. Bob Kiess:

330_DSCF4323.jpg

Sandblasted GBD pot shows vertical grain and horizontal growth rings:

DSCN0376.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Sandblasting removes mostly the softer parts of the wood revealing the grain patterns. Rusticating is done with a tool of some sort,both powered or hand operated and basically just chews up the surface in a variety of patterns.

staffwalker

Lurker
Jun 12, 2009
I would disagree with the idea that rustication takes less time to do. In my case, I find I spend at least two hours more doing rustication than finishing to a smooth. Most rustications are done because the grain isn't too great, it might for instance fade out on the front or back of the pipe. It is sometimes done due to small sand pits. Most makers would never try to hide large cracks or pits. Even with rustication or blasts these will tend to show through. As for cost, I feel it is entirely subjective. There is this idea out there that the maker is attempting to hide some large defect in the wood so the buyer doesn't expect to pay the amount of money he would for a smooth or blast. I don't price mine that way. I price according to how long it took to make, the difficulty of doing so, how well the finished pipe looks and how well I have engineered it. As a result, some of my rusticated pipes may be priced higher than some of my smooth ones. bob gilbert

Status
Not open for further replies.