PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hello meerschaum experts, I wonder, has anyone ever tried rusticating a meer bowl? I have just acquired a rather large & featureless straight billiard that I neither like nor am likely to ever smoke. I am tinkering with the idea of rusticating it with my Dremel in the same way as I have with some briar bowls by using various sizes of burs.
The pipe has no marking on it at all and measures 17 cm long with a bowl width of 4 1/4 cm and height of 6cm so plenty of space for rusticating.
Below are a couple of pictures of the pipe and another of a briar showing the pattern I have in mind. If I were to go this route are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? I would of course wear a dust mask. How about a finish after Dremelling?
Regards,
Jay.
imgp4244-2-600x450.jpg

imgp4247-2-600x450.jpg

imgp4251-2-600x450.jpg

31-600x399.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd first try a deep sanding to see if you might like the shape and finish of the original. Possibly- perhaps probably, though, the stains may run deep.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks JPM for your suggestion. However as the bowl is so bloody huge I am unlikely ever to smoke it. It really is like a bucket!
My idea was to sell it locally at a flea market but I thought it might sell better if it actually had some visual attraction. As it is I think it's pretty hideous.
Regards,
Jay.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
The dremel will do the same job on the meer as it does on briar just WAY faster. Be very careful and go slow. I reshaped a meer tomatoe a few years back and I had to go really slow with it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Blue, that's very impressive, thanks for going to the trouble of posting the pictures. Was the bowl square to start with?
If I was of an artistic bent I would try something very elaborate, alas I do not possess an artistic bone in my body so a simple pebbledash pattern might have to do. I wish I had a spare piece of meer that I could try different patterns on as I do with briar.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.