PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Sitting here waiting on my enormous Marxman 400 I ordered from a preacher who is selling 14 huge 400 pipes, I’m ruminating on what defines an extra large pipe.

There is a famous Dunhill scale that sizes pipes by bowl size.

But I prefer using my digital scale.

If they weigh 55 grams or more it’s an extra large pipe.

My current 400 weighs 95 grams.

IMG_5712.jpeg

But my Marxman Straight Grain is also an extra large pipe at 65 grams, but my Weber Cutty (walrus?) at 35 grams doesn’t make the weight. The Weber has a large bowl but the walls and stem are thin.

IMG_5844.jpeg

Generally speaking as a general rule, I find an extra large pipe is all the way around better.

More briar helps insulate the ember, which makes for a better smoker.

What’s your definition of an extra large pipe?

There’s no hard and fast rule.

Last edited:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I bought a Rad Davis from a forum member some time ago and it was pristine and beautiful - unfortunately, I didn’t pay attention to the dimensions and to me, it was enormous, lol. Sold it at a discount to another forum member, lol. Bought an old Travis McGee style Charatan estate and for a straight pipe, to me it was too long and unwieldy, so I guess those are my limits.

I don’t mind a substantial bowl, but prefer a more compact pipe - the ones I commission are generally right around 5 inches to a max of 5.5.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
@Briar Lee

These are the largest pipes I have on hand for a quick photo. I’ve included a Savinelli Series III 320 EX Author on the left to give you a clearer idea of scale as compared to the other pipes in the photo, as it is ubiquitous and familiar to most pipe smokers; it has a length of about 5.0" from the front of the stummel to the bit.

I would say the rest of these would be considered Extra Large by most people, the biggest being the gargantuan 19th Century Ropp in the middle, which measures around 26.0" as you can see by the tape measure next to it.

I’ve found the 2.0"+ deep chambers of larger pipes very handy for when I watch UFC mixed martial arts events on Saturdays, which usually run about six hours. It’s nice to not have to fiddle with a pipe and refill constantly. As @Humblepipe can attest, with these fights, if you blink, you can miss a spectacular knockout. Depending on the tobacco cut, the Briar, Sweat, and Tears Large Curve (the sort of maroon coloured pipe with Birdseye directly under the aforementioned Ropp and above the unbranded lighter coloured LC Swan Neck with Horn stem) will give me over a four hour smoke with a single chamber load.

20231202_112604.jpg

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Those
@Briar Lee

These are the largest pipes I have on hand for a quick photo. I’ve included a Savinelli Series III 320 EX Author on the left to give you a clearer idea of scale as compared to the other pipes in the photo, as it is ubiquitous and familiar to most pipe smokers; it has a length of about 5.0" from the front of the stummel to the bit.

I would say the rest of these would be considered Extra Large by most people, the biggest being the gargantuan 19th Century Ropp in the middle, which measures around 26.0" as you can see by the tape measure next to it.

I’ve found the 2.0"+ deep chambers of larger pipes very handy for when I watch UFC mixed martial arts events on Saturdays, which usually run about six hours. It’s nice to not have to fiddle with a pipe and refill constantly. As @Humblepipe can attest, with these fights, if you blink, you can miss a spectacular knockout. Depending on the tobacco cut, the Briar, Sweat, and Tears Large Curve (the sort of maroon coloured pipe with Birdseye directly under the aforementioned Ropp and above the unbranded lighter coloured LC Swan Neck with Horn stem) will give me over a four hour smoke with a single chamber load.

View attachment 266253
The heavily textured ones in the lower right look awesome. So does that big one. Very, very cool.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I generally prefer my pipes on the larger side, for much of the same reasons Briar states. I don't have hard and fast rules on what makes a pipe large, but for me, my focus is on the height and diameter of the chamber; length and weight are secondary considerations. For a larger pipe that isn't, say, "jumbo"-sized like some Boswells or SJ Maximas, but large and not ostentatious, I'd say I look for something around 2 inches in height and about 20mm in diameter, give or take. As way of example, a Peterson XL90 is to me a large pipe that is perfectly usable and doesn't veer towards gimmickry.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Although there’s no weight listed, I just bought an extra large Tom Howard Aged Algerian copy of a Marxman 400 or a Big Boy.

IMG_5866.jpeg
IMG_5863.jpeg
IMG_5862.jpegIMG_5865.jpegIMG_5864.jpeg

Of the classic era of American pipes Robert Marx was never even close to making the most pipes, but he might have made the most of the truly extra large size pipes.

When a small 25 gram or standard 35 gram pipe cost fifty cents or a dollar, Marx peddled a bunch of big pipes at $7.50, $10, and $15.

They were proportionally shaped to the size, like that huge Howard.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Although there’s no weight listed, I just bought an extra large Tom Howard Aged Algerian copy of a Marxman 400 or a Big Boy.

View attachment 266384
View attachment 266387
View attachment 266388View attachment 266393View attachment 266394

Of the classic era of American pipes Robert Marx was never even close to making the most pipes, but he might have made the most of the truly extra large size pipes.

When a small 25 gram or standard 35 gram pipe cost fifty cents or a dollar, Marx peddled a bunch of big pipes at $7.50, $10, and $15.

I have a Tom Howard I picked up a few years ago just to have for the fact he was an old time radio guy from my great state of NJ. I don’t smoke it because it’s not my style but I enjoy having it.

IMG_2595.jpegIMG_2594.jpeg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have a Tom Howard I picked up a few years ago just to have for the fact he was an old time radio guy from my great state of NJ. I don’t smoke it because it’s not my style but I enjoy having it.

View attachment 266425View attachment 266426

Remember, a radio personality made those huge Custombuilt and Marxman type pipes in a one man shop.

Tracy Mincer and Robert Marx had minions and proper factories to make a lot of them, on a commercial scale.

I’ve read somewhere Howard might make one pipe in three or four hours.

They turned that same reddish brown that Marxman and Custombuilt pipes did.

When that particular grade of Algerian briar was available the best makers used only that.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

View attachment 266384
View attachment 266387
View attachment 266388View attachment 266393View attachment 266394

That pipe is stunning! One of my favorites yet!

Reactions: Briar Lee and Tate

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Biggest pipe currently is either an LHS Sterncrest pot or the pictured Custombilt.
View attachment 266493
The 400 I have coming is probably right behind the one @Briar Lee ordered lol

Lookie at that beautful red shade of dog turd brown Algerian briar assumed after smoking.

And that reddish brown color is just a whisker deep.

Either the oils from the smoker’s hands or trapped in the pipe or the smoke penetrated to make them that color.

It’s one of the easiest ways to indemnity the best of the best grade of pre 54 Algerian briar.

Reactions: Tate

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
Lookie at that beautful red shade of dog turd brown Algerian briar assumed after smoking.

And that reddish brown color is just a whisker deep.

Either the oils from the smoker’s hands or trapped in the pipe or the smoke penetrated to make them that color.

It’s one of the easiest ways to indemnity the best of the best grade of pre 54 Algerian briar.
Indeed! No way to confirm other than the color and smoking quality but I assume the Custombilt is. Not too sure on the Sterncrest but a great smoker for sure. The Sterncrest hasn't had as many reps in the rotation so it might be getting short changed on the coloring opportunity.

Reactions: Briar Lee