PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperator

Lurker
Mar 13, 2014
I smoke mostly aromatics, so I thought I'd try Rum and Maple. It is sold in bulk and I bought a couple of ounces at Ye Olde Pipe & Tobacco Shoppe in Phoenix -- the only decent purveyor of pipe tobacco and accessories in AZ.
The kid at the counter recommended it as mild aromatic, which is true, but good it certainly ain't. Rum and Maple is mostly burley with (possibly) some Virginias. I have had about a dozen of bowls of it -- it consistently smoked hot and was quite bitey. Besides, I am still wondering why they called it Rum and Maple -- the rum is undetectable as well as the maple. Some run-of-the-mill sweetness, but totally flat and unremarkable. The only possible plus is the decent room note -- it is lady-friendly.
I have heard of previous tinned versions of Rum and Maple that supposedly contained Syrian latakia, but this bulk stuff has none and is just waste of money.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Sutliff Maple Street is an awesome smoke, you will taste he maple from the 1st char to the bottom of the bowl.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The best Rum and Maple mixture I ever smoked was from Russ Oulette: Hearth and Home Latham Circle. Most of the time, rum and maple blends don't seem to taste like either rum or maple, but Russ did a fine job of melding both in Latham Circle.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
+1 on 4noggins' Essence of Vermont.
Though I have never had any of them, McClellands Townsman Cavendish blends come in Brandy, Maple or Rum. I've been meaning to pick up a bag but never do.

Status
Not open for further replies.