PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

corvinvelegost

Might Stick Around
May 1, 2012
I am new to the pipe smoking community and would very much like to find a club and learn from people who have the experience i lack. Anyone in the Rochester area? I live much closer to Canandaigua but would be willing to make a drive into the city.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I work up near Canandaigua but have yet to find a smoke shop in that area (Baroodys in Geneva is pretty weak, you can't even smoke in the new shop any more).

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I think I'm it for Rochester proper. Well, at least that's how is seems. I suppose there could be more ROC lurkers who just don't post. I've also never heard of any pipe club. PM me if you want to meet up. I don't claim to have any special knowledge, I only know how to do things the way I learned on my own. Kinda the way everyone learns when you think about it...
-Jason

jpants

Lurker
Oct 23, 2012
I live south of ROC in Honeoye falls... there is a pretty sweet tobacco shop in East Rochester called Havana House that has a real nice lounge.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Don't know how I missed this one, jpants.
Havana House is good (especially for the lounge) but their pipe tobacco selection is next to nil. There are some HTF (Hard-To-Find) and OOP (Out-Of-Production) blends there, but they are far an few between. I personally like Dewey Ave. Smoke Shop in Rochester, although I realize HF isn't that close to make frequent trips. It would behoove you to check them out at least once. I mostly get stuff online since it's easier to find that way and I don't have to wait for someone to order-it-maybe-when-I-feel-like-it-or-remember-maybe...
The offer still stand for anyone in the area. I'm down with meeting up, although with the winter months approaching, finding a nice, WARM place to share a smoke will be tough to find. Anyway, let me know.
-Jason

jpants

Lurker
Oct 23, 2012
I haven't been to Dewey Ave in some years. I actually live some of my very young childhood years 2 blocks away from there. I used to frequent the shop to buy Nate Shreman cigs...

As far as HH is concerned I didn't really check out their pipes or tobacco, everything is really pricey. I as well have been doing all my purchases online. But one of these days I do plan on having a smoke in their lounge. I actually know the woodworker that built everything in there!

piperat

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
I'm newly joined to the site, and live in the Greater Roch area. I'm definitely interested in any gatherings or such if any manage to happen. :)

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'd be interested to hear if any gatherings are in the works... I would love to get together with others once the weather warms up. It's too cold to sit outside right now.
-Jason

piperat

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
We may just have to take the initiative ourselves and just work on setting something up. The hardest part, due to the NY laws, is finding a suitable location. Possibly one of the various Starbucks that have outdoor seating areas? Anyone else have any ideas on possible locations to use?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Havana House in East Rochester has a smoking lounge, but I've never smoked in it. Nothing but cigar smokers in there every time I've been there. I don't know if there's a charge but I'd surely pick up a tin or two if I were to smoke there.
-Jason

piperat

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, I've been there a few times. I live like 5 minutes away from it. Nice people, but the general clientele seems all cigar orientated. They have some nice pipes for not so nice prices, and the tobacco selection isn't much either. Could still be a decent place to try and start with. Never know, if they start getting more pipe smokers, they may step up slightly on the pipe items they carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.