PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I was getting a red Virginia itch yesterday and decided to open a lone tin of McConnells Red that I had. Tin descriptions says reds with touch of perique, which is visible in the leaves. Unlike many Virginia's, there is no hay/grass smell, but very distinct sweet bread notes. The topping is sugary much like Sir John Aylesbury Va Flake (very similar) and the perique adds the occasional pepper note. The smoke seems very consistent as the bowl progresses with the occasional tingle on the tongue (I may smoke just a smidge fast which may be the cause of that). Although I was looking for more tang, this is a very good tobacco that stays mellow through the smoke. When I want something sweet but not SVH, I can see myself reaching for this.

Anybody else taste the similarities to Sir John? Could it be the same with just a touch of perique?

Attachments

• 16133307597405563850315825759991.jpg
    16133307597405563850315825759991.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 13

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
It's a good smoke but not one I'll chase if not readily available. I've been smoking 4 yr old Union Square and 2-yr FVF pretty regularly. I prefer my tobacco with less sweet and more full bodied - but the change of pace is alright. I still have two tins of Wessex Red that I haven’t opened yet, wonder if that is similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.