PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
We left Ellensburg, Washington for North Carolina to see my wife's grandparents...they both turned 100 years old the same week. On our trip, visited as many tobacconists and pipe stores as allowable. After snow and lighting (at the same time) and plenty of tornado and hail warnings, we arrived in Asheville.

Let me tell you, B&B Tobacconists in Asheville is fantastic. Really homey, warm atmosphere and great variety of blends. Spent too brief a time in the shop before seeing the family, and we hit the road for Virginia, to see my parents. A few okay places, where I had myself a darn good cigar - my first in twenty years - still prefer my Peterson and a bowl of War Horse.

From Northern Virginia, we drove to St. Tikhon's Monastery in northern Pennsylvania, as I'm a deacon in the Orthodox Church and attended seminary here. On our way, my wife (!) said hey, Boswell's on the way. Want to stop there? Well let me tell you.

The most amazing tobacco shop I've ever visited, and probably ever will visit. You see, I'm from the Marxist state of Washington, where there's more weed and vape juice than anything else (probably) and I was floored to see to many rich jars, tins, tobaccos, ashtrays and good men. Real men. Hey, where's your pipe?, they asked. Wait, I can smoke indoors? They laughed and I grabbed my Peterson, and proceeded to stuff it with Countryside. What a BLEND.

Needless to say, I walked out with plenty of leaf and returned to my home state a happy camper. Drove through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - beautiful, really - to Duluth and finally into North Dakota in 60+ mile an hour winds until landing on our little farm here in Central Washington.

Anyway, visiting Boswells was like visiting Oz, minus the weird little man behind the curtain.

Such a pity every "tobacco" and "pipe" store just sells glass pipes, vape juice (really??) and whatever.

Great trip.

Brought back books, antiques, leaf and smiles.

The best part of the journey, aside from leaving, is coming home.

dublinpiper90

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
Countryside would be my most favorite of the Boswell Blends, Northwoods is runner up. I’ve smoked a lot of there blends and I must say all of them are great overall.

dottlejockey

B&B Tobacconists in Asheville is fantastic. Really homey, warm atmosphere and great variety of blends.

I'm from the Marxist state of Washington, where there's more weed and vape juice than anything else

Asheville makes for a great visit. Nice little baccy shop. Love the street vendors there as well. And they have the best chocolate shop (if it's still there) called "The Chocolate Fetish." Some amazing stuff back when i used to do the sugar addiction thing.

I feel your pain on the WA tip. I'm here, too...but just for a few more days. Sick of the rain (west of the range), ready for the Florida sunshine and Tampa's Ybor City!

Boswell's would be fun. Sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing. :)

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Next time you find yourself in Northern Virginia, it's worth the side trip to Winchester, Virginia to visit John B Hayes. Plus from there it's a quick hop to Skyline Drive. Enjoy a new pipe or tobacco in some of the East Coast's most beautiful scenery. But it sounds like you had a great trip regardless!

Reactions: DeaconPiper

JoeW

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
Drove through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - beautiful, really - to Duluth
It's a gorgeous time of year here: we had a lot of rain earlier in the spring, so it's extremely green on that route. My wife and I drove out to Ironwood on that route last weekend and enjoyed every mile.

I hope to see Boswell's myself someday, but it's about a 15 hour drive, so it's probably unlikely to happen. Glad to hear that you had a good trip and safe travels!

Reactions: DeaconPiper

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
WOW, I’d rather hear about and see a pic of the grandparents LOL 😆

I mean seriously, both at 100, now that is something amazing, and I hope they are doing great!

So any picks of the young kids? LOL 😝