PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
What a great show. I ignored that show assuming it was going to be far more typical of shows at that time. The long format story wasn't really super big back then. (shows that are more like episodic movies, instead of skits that at most make nods to what happened in the past but are designed so that a person can pick up on any episode and not have to keep asking annoying questions).
And of course that show wouldn't have been what it was without the odd charms of that fellow.

Jan 27, 2020
What a great show. I ignored that show assuming it was going to be far more typical of shows at that time. The long format story wasn't really super big back then. (shows that are more like episodic movies, instead of skits that at most make nods to what happened in the past but are designed so that a person can pick up on any episode and not have to keep asking annoying questions).

I watched it while it was on TV back when it was exciting to wait for the next episode to air. I quite literally think that and Six Feet Under are the best American TV shows ever.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I watched it while it was on TV back when it was exciting to wait for the next episode to air. I quite literally think that and Six Feet Under are the best American TV shows ever.
I caught an Episode of Homicide the subway episode which was pretty extreme and real for what passed for t.v. at the time. At that point I got hooked on the show.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Always appreciated Belzers talent as a character actor.
Hands down my favorite Richard Belzer performance is from the 1974 cult skit classic "The Groove Tube".
The skit called "The Dealers" is pure gold (and it bums me out I can't find the whole thing anywhere)...
Just this short bit from the skit-

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Never saw him on TV. I never could generate much enthusiasm for "Procedural" police shows as a rule.
You might like this one. I am not much of a fan of that genre but Homicide was a great show. Like I said I avoided it for many seasons and then caught an episode and got hooked. One thing the characters are pretty real for television and not what they usually mean by that. It's doesn't shy from the grim but it's not gritty for gritties sake.
A great stand-up comedian though. I caught him in Vegas a couple of times, very cerebral! RIP.
And his role in the show is very funny and if you like his stand up might be worth checking it out. And yes he's not funny like a t.v. person funny. He's funny like that guy you worked with that people keep saying you could be a comedian.
It's of course up to you, it's your life. But I think it be worth you checking it out and I can't really think of anything to compare it to. It's just it's own thing.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jun 9, 2018
England
Damn, that's a shame🙁. Loved him in Homicide: Life on the Street. Over here in the UK I saw it when it first aired back in the 90's and I re-watched it a few years back.

Great show that was different at the time and had a dark, gritty edge to it.

RIP