PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have several pipes with discolored stems because of oxidation. I have been checking out obsidian oil. I know it can protect but does it restore? What's everybody's best way of restoring a stem? Thanks in advance.
Obsidian and mineral oil will only protect. The oxidation has to be physically removed. Some use sandpaper, some use micromesh or other methods.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I have very recently began to explore this subject OP. I have been using magic eraser, Flitz polish and wax, all ideas learned about from this forum. Working well enough for me so far.

I think some are using toothpaste and some are using oxiclean or bleach baths. I have not tried those as I wasn't sure about removing the raised oxidation from the inside of the stem.

I started a thread about "Projects" to share mine and with the hope that others would contribute some of theirs as well. Would be nice to see the before and after if you chose to share there. I have not done so well at remembering the before pictures so far!

Good luck!

Cotton1

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Before spending time and effort on this, grab some mineral oil and rub a tiny bit all over the stem. Remove excess if any. See what you've got. I guarantee the result will be way better, though perhaps not good enough for what you want. (Not everyone wants or needs the blackest black or the shiniest black.)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have several pipes with discolored stems because of oxidation. I have been checking out obsidian oil. I know it can protect but does it restore? What's everybody's best way of restoring a stem? Thanks in advance.
As has been said, oxidation is a chemical reaction to the hardened rubber being exposed to Oxygen and to direct sunlight. If not physically removed the process continues. There are a number of ways to remove oxidized material. Bleach was popular though it pitted the Vulcanite and left a texture that took a lot of work to remove.
I don’t use bleach. I use micromesh sanding pads. This has worked well for me.
After I’ve achieved the high gloss I’m looking for I coat the surface with either Paragon or Halcyon wax to reduce exposure to oxygen.
If the stem is severely and deeply oxidized, requiring a significant amount of material to be removed the profile of the stem may not quite line up with the shank. If the pipe is a valuable piece it might make sense to just replace it with a new one.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You have all the advice you need in the above posts, but I would add that if you go the micromesh route, be very gentle with it, as if you send too much away your stem will look 'off' when it is inserted in the stummel again.

Reactions: Cotton1
Status
Not open for further replies.