PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Bought a Yello-Bole, Imperial Briar off the bay. It had the wrong stem, a few chips and needed TLC badly.
As I was rummaging through my materials, I came across a small offshoot rhizome that had a trailing end, that if cut and polished, could opt as a stem and mouthpiece. It was already oblong across one plane, just like the mortise on the bowl. So why not?
First, I had to pilot a 3mm hole through the root, as the leading root is devoid of holes. Due to crookedness of the root, I had to approach from both ends to avoid perforating the walls. That was a slow and tedious step. I use a guide-wire (from a medical kit) to check depth and fish inside.
I sanded down the bowl beyond the chips, scraped the inside and performed a salt and alcohol bath. I then hand sanded down a tenon on the root, and sanded both bowl and stem to mate at their edges. I then flat sanded the bottom of the bowl so it could sit. Then I followed up with a coat of dark brown stain, made from the extract of a black walnut husk and polished with carnuaba wax.
oM3WncB.jpg

6nzMJbo.jpg

GTVpVR1.jpg

Fpfmg7q.jpg

Today was a good day. Now to light this puppy up. :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Very inventive and resourceful. It's sort of a Frankenpipe, but if it works for you that's all that counts. I think I'd have a feeling of satisfaction if I had put that pipe into working condition (again).

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Thanks, Cortez. Yes. A Frankenpipe of sorts. I wasn't sure about the rhizome pulling double duty. However, it smokes nicely. The rhizome has a soft plastic mouth feel, but with the rigidity of acrylic for clenching. Using stain from a walnut husk was another nice surprise. None-the-less, I have a usable and most enjoyable piece.
All of these things I learned from lurking on this site, either directly, or referenced by others.
I will most likely partake in the craft of using a raw block and build me a free hand.
I'm sure I'm a bit of overload with my posts on this site, so I'll temper it down a bit.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
First, please don't slow down your posting. You have lots of neat ideas, 'out of the box' thinking is interesting, especially when you can execute the ideas too.
Nice save on the pipe. It is certainly different, and unique.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Thanks, nevadablue. I have more in the works.
mso489. Thank you. I do like it and was happy in not having to bother in finding a matching stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.