PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
Stupidly I put a plastic container of Ronson lighter fluid in my console to have when the lighter ran out. The dumb part was that it slowly leaked and when I put a pipe in there--a day later--the stain faded on the side that was lying on the felt-like covering. Now I have a Peterson Sherlock Holmes Original that is faded with one side more than the other.
I read that pipes could be re-stained with shoe leather stain. Do you guys have any advice?

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Sorry to hear about that. I've read the same thing. I haven't tried it myself but seems the biggest problem would be matching the stain. Then, a polish with a buffing wheel. I look forward to reading more experienced members post on this.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yep,to get it looking right it would most likely need to be stripped and completely re-stained.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
If you decide to restore the pipe yourself, I would strongly recommend trying out any re-stain on a cheap pipe first! Hope you manage to get the Sherlock Original re-done as they look like very nice pipes indeed.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
"Yep,to get it looking right it would most likely need to be stripped and completely re-stained."

Yes.It's a realatively quick operation and assure a perfect result

Maurizio

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Well,you might check this out. This is how I do it,works for me.

http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/about1644.html

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice link ejames, I also need to start reading http://www.pipemakersforum.com/ which was referenced in your link. Good stuff indeed!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
That post from ozark is a good thumbnail of what works, thanks for posting it up here ejames.

I've used the fine steel wool on other finishing projects, not on any of the pipes I've done.

No reason, just didn't occur to me to do so. Duh
Sharing, and especially the re-sharing, of tips and tricks is vital in keeping this piper's pipes presentable!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Exactly OTD, there is a ton of info out there. There are also many ways to do most things,ask 100 people how to do something and you may get 100 different answers.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That's what you should do,find and digest all the information you can and then sift through it to see what works for you,using the tools and skills you have. That's what I did.Most of what I have learned came from someone else, a lot of it from the pipe makers forum.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
had a medico short while ago. had the bright idea to clean the bowl with bakin soda an vinigar. anyway it bubbled over the bowl and promptly destroyed the finish on 2/3rds of it, so i took some wet 1000 grid paper an removed the rest of the finish, then oiled it up with virgin olive oil. Now some ppl may not agree with me, but i kinda like it better now than i did when it was shiny

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A lot of the "lower priced" ( I hate the word cheap when applied to pipes!) pipe will look much better when the original finish is stripped off and the bowl sanded and buffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.