PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have only one pipe with the Peterson patented P-Lip stem that directs smoke toward the roof

of the mouth rather than straight to the tongue. Mine is a fine Rhodesian 999, and I don't mind

one P-Lip on the rack, although I wouldn't buy another new. Estates are a whole different question.

Anyway, some people have removed the P-Lip feature with a saw, a P-Lip-ectomy as it were.

What do you think of this stem and how have removals gone. I prefer the fishtail by far, and

feel a little cautious on the Peterson part of sites because I'm afraid I will order a P-Lip when I

prefer fishtail; just maintain presence of mind when ordering.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Take a saw to a Pete stem...eeeeeeeeeeak, shudders, yeah take roth's. advice. Or just don't buy a pipe with a plip, if you see a deal on one you can,t pass up, buy it, sell it, then get something else. I do that all the time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Member Kashmir has changed a few of his Pete P-lips, with good results if I remember correctly. I tried two P-lips, they just weren't for me. I recently passed on a Pre-Republic 999 due to the P-lip (the older, chubby style). That was painful to pass on that portly beauty.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
It can be done, but it shortens the stem considerably. And takes quite a bit of work. After doing a couple of these, I'd just assume have a competant repairman make me a new stem. I'd recommend Floyd Norwood for this. He does great stem work.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
Why spend money to get rid of it I wont charge you donate to the vabriar collection. :) But if you must I think a replacement stem is a good bet.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
You should be able to buy a replacement Peterson stem without the Plip. This link is from the UK, but might give you an idea what should be available from a Peterson dealer
http://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/categories/peterson-replacement-mouthpieces

Status
Not open for further replies.