PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Here's a question I don't think's been asked...
I have an old Koolsmoke, part of an estate lot I got, and from what I've seen on eBay, I guess not worth much.
Has a few grooves in the bowl, I suspect someone took pliers to it. I was going to try a damp cloth and clothing iron to steam out the dents. Not sure what else to try other than filler which I'd rather avoid... that or rusticate the wood and hide the grooves that way. :D
Stem however... no ideas. Can't use acid, would kill the aluminum. Can't sand because too many small nooks and grooves. Dremel and brass wheel too aggressive? pay someone to sandblast?
Ideally, I'd like to paint it (candy rootbeer) or have it re-plated in dark copper... if can get done for a decent price. But first, I need that old half flaked off stuff removed.
LINK
This is the before image... black part of the stem has since been filed/sanded, bowl cleaned, etc... just need to handle the grooves, and the chrome...
_MG_6044_zps54ffda85.jpg

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I had success with stripping off chrome using vinegar. Put it in a plastic container with vinegar and check back frequently. The vinegar shouldn´t be too agressive on the aluminium.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I have a sonic cleaner... tried that for the pipe, and water sparkled a bit but, using water, didn't seem like I'd get the chrome off anytime this year. Maybe if I use vinegar in the sonic cleaner it'll speed things up a bit.
I'd rather have 0 chrome than leave it as it is now... looks pretty rough. Also, although a thin chrome on the pipe, sometimes that stuff is like a razor when you drag a thumb across it the wrong way. I'd like to avoid that. :D
Plus again, looking online, I doubt I'd get much for the pipe as it is so, may as well have some fun with it. :)

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I can't wait to smoke this one actually... never tried, but gave a few draws on it (after cleaned) to see how it was and I like the resistance. I like having a bit more resistance than none at all.
No extra bowls on mine though, just the one... I read that the Falcon bowls have a different thread, are there other brands that might fit? In case I wanted to buy a new bowl?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
throbinson:
Check in your area for commercial metal plating companies that perform color anodizing of aluminum. As a part of the process they will chemically strip the old finish from the body of your pipe. Most anodizers offer a whole pallet of colors from which to choose, and you should be able to find one to suit your preference.
I hope that this information is useful to you.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
So far no luck... contacted but no response. Though it's the same for any service industry in my area for some reason, it's like no one wants to work. :D
Seriously, very weird area I live in... moved here 2 years ago, had to call 3 plumbers for one to show up, 2 cable installers, estimate for the deck was a countless number of no-shows... and people here wonder why their businesses fail.
Good chance I may end up taking the dremel and brass wheel to it and see how that goes. Though rather not paint them given how aluminum never seems to hold the paint well.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
throbinson:
Keep after your local commercial metal plating companies which offer color anodizing, as I believe that the result will be worth the effort. I do NOT recommend trying to remove the chrome plating using a wire-wheel, as the dust can be toxic.
Aluminum can be painted, but it must first be etched. My recommendation is to save yourself the trouble and simply have this pipe's frame anodized.
Again, I hope that this information is helpful.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Ya... hopefully someone will 'pipe up' (lame pun) and reply back. Sent out estimate requests to about 8 or 9 places and no response. Only 'local' place said they don't deal with aluminum. :S
It's a project pipe now vs restore... I heated up the tenon slowly and pushed it in to fatten it up so would stay in better and worked great. Soon as it touched the buffer wheel a few days later, totally distorted the plastic. None of the other pipes I've don (about 15 so far) did this, so assuming a softer material than the other non-vulcanite stems.
Ordering a new vulcanite one to modify/fit, also a bit shorter which I think would look better.
Bowl is ok, but as seen has some grooves... suspect the previous owner used pliers on it. Will try to get them out with heat/steam otherwise maybe some sanding.
If I sand it... maybe I'll go as far as to anodize it black, with the black stem, and re-dye the bowl cobalt blue or black.
May be ordering dye's this week... which is a topic for another post (Fiebling's leather dye, but what colours get used most).

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Try one of the customizing motorcycle shops. You can find advertisments for small plater and polishers in Easy Rider or magazines of that ilk and they are used to a mail order type business environment.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Thanks... fingers crossed I hear something back. I suspect being such a small job, most places I contacted just ignored the request because not worth their while... but, hopefully one in that list will respond.
:)

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
throbinson:
If I may make a suggestion, telephone and ask to speak with the company's General Manager. If you tell him or her that you are a hobbyist and explain what you are attempting to do, I believe that your chances of success will increase.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.