PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I'm trying to restore an old Kaywoodie, but there is so much cake I can't really get the reamer in the bowl. I use a butner reamer(I'm getting a Castleford Reamer of ebay). My question is how do I remove all the cake? Will the Castleford take care of it? Or is there a different way?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I had a couple of estates like that. I put a pipe cleaner in the shank and used a dropper to saturate the cake with alcohol, adding more as it was absorbed. Once it was saturated I left it for a couple hours, then went to work with a pocket knife. Since you have a reamer, you can just carve out an area big enough for that. I used the knife then a dowel and some sand paper, since I didn't have a reamer. The pies were so caked, there wasn't even a draft hole! Just do it carefully.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I should look for a practise pipe, myself... I'm a bit nervous about reaming an expensive pipe for the first time.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I love my Senor reamer. No such thing as too much cake. Just start at the sealed top. Makes you wonder how they could smoke it to that point.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Sometimes I just wonder if I'm seeing double... I see one string on removing cake, and another

on building cake. I'm wondering when the sexy little bitch will pop up from under the candles.

I'm not hijacking your post Uberam, I'm just havin' a bit of fun.

Baron is right on concerning removing..... and with sparroa on practicing. But kennerth has

the trick with the senor reamer... You can't beat it

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
A steady hand, low speed and a dremel with cylindrical sanding piece. Actually higher speed might be better.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
lol a dremel, one slip and bye bye pipe. Much better to take these things nice and slow. A small pocket knife blade works really really good at opening that cake up.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I think we need to have a column on here called...ASK BARON...everytime he answers a questions, it's always right... :worship:
You should get a senior reamer...it was my first, and will be the only reamer my pipes will have...can't comment on the others since I have no experience with them...
I also have a dremel and have used it for certain things on my pipes....but it's a very dangerous tool...Eric's right, one slip and bye bye pipe!!! Though I've heard other members talk about rusticating their smooth pipes with a dremel...I might have to try that when I get a practice pipe or 2...

Status
Not open for further replies.