PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Today I attended a celebration of life for a friend/family member (my wife's cousin's husband) who passed a few months ago.

I didn't know him as well as I would've liked to but he always made me feel welcome and I liked him a lot.

He was a fellow cigar and pipe smoker. I remember when he broke his pipe and didn't want to spend money on a replacement so I gave him a nice new Larsen I had.

A table was set up with pictures of him and cards where people were invited to write what they remembered most about him.

I didn't write anything but left 2 cigars (a My Father La Opulencia and a My Father Le Bijou 1922).

As it turns out his daughter (from a previous relationship) really wanted one to remember him by. She said she'd never light it but really remembered him enjoying cigars.

His wife kept one for the same reason and let the daughter keep the other.

Later, I was talking to one of his sons whom I'd met once before and enjoyed a cigar with and I asked if he still enjoyed cigars. He said absolutely so I gave him a Liga Privada T52 which is one of my favorite cigars. He was super happy about it.

Somehow cigars just really struck a chord.

I spent most of the day chasing after my 3 year old daughter in and out of the bouncy house, up and down slides, and engaging in general shenanigans.

I'm now in my hotel room sipping a nice Grande Champagne Cognac and watching Disney Jr with my daughter.

My pipes/travel kit stayed in the car all day. Even though I didn't smoke today it was still a damn fine day.

A day to remember.

Salud Tony!

Last edited:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Shane-
Sorry for your loss........ I commend you passing out those great cigars. I would talk those that rec'd them into firing them up...... sit around, have some coffee and conversation.
They would probably enjoy them......... if not , those cigars are going to wither in a dresser drawer, and will never be enjoyed............ prod them a bit, it's worth it!

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
I am convinced that the cigars and the pipe are artifacts that clearly resemble a person who used them. They are a thread that binds fans, and consequently the people close to them. This world has made me meet and get to know wonderful people, people who have never shied away from lending a hand or an ear, people who have enchanted me with their stories. A pipe or a cigar, on any occasion, will remind me of each of them.
Sorry for your loss

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
This is a great idea for remembrance.

My family has placed a cigar in the deceased's pocket along with a deck of cards to enjoy on the other side.

We also have an old book with my great grandfather's cigar wrapper as a bookmark.

Death in the pandemic is more difficult than normal. Passing away alone and the inability for others to have the closure or last goodbye we've come accustom to. Not good, not good at all.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I had a friend who was buried in the Huichol tradition. He laid in state for 9 days in his house with round-the-clock visitation. The smoking of cigars and moderate taking of tequila was encouraged. Before his coffin was sealed, people laid gifts within, including what amounted to a couple hundred cigars. More than enough for the journey into the afterlife.

Very sorry for your loss and glad you were able to provide a lasting momento for his wife and daughter.

Reactions: LotusEater

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It's good to think of friends when there time comes and to do something they would appreciate.
As for your daughter it's great thing to spend time with her before she turns into teenager.