PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I think everyone remembers exactly where they were and what they were doing when they found out what happened.
I had just gotten to work at my construction job after my morning class at college, right after the first tower got hit. Me and the other guys at work were listening to the news on the truck radio as they were trying to figure out whether it was an accident or deliberate. Saw Air Force One fly into Barksdale AFB later that morning.
My cousin, who was interning in NY, worked in one of the towers, and called in sick that morning. She saw the towers fall from her apartment.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
I think everyone remembers exactly where they were and what they were doing when they found out what happened.
I had just gotten to work at my construction job after my morning class at college, right after the first tower got hit. Me and the other guys at work were listening to the news on the truck radio as they were trying to figure out whether it was an accident or deliberate. Saw Air Force One fly into Barksdale AFB later that morning.
My cousin, who was interning in NY, worked in one of the towers, and called in sick that morning. She saw the towers fall from her apartment.

Yup I was just thinking about this. It's burned into everyone's memory where they were when they heard the news.

I can still remember most of that day because every aspect of it was just jarring and abnormal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I remember the dreadful pause as the world waited for the injured to arrive a the hospitals by the hundreds and few did. The unthinkable little figures hurtling from the smoking towers before they collapsed completely. First responders, average working people, ash covered survivors, dazed rescue and recovery workers and their dogs. Crowds watching from afar with a lost disbelief in their eyes. In the wee dawn hours before this happened, I woke up thrashing and throwing punches and kicking, which I have never done before or since. If there is a devil, he whispered in my ear. I just fell back asleep, confused. Years later, I visited ground zero, and my future wife looked forlornly into the pit and saw the subway through the gash in the pavement and said, "Brave little train."

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I was active duty Coast Guard stationed on Governors Island from 1986-1989. After a short ferry ride to lower Manhatten, we could walk to the Twin Towers or just take a short subway ride to get there. We often shopped in the mall areas in the basement.

We had just dropped one of our daughters at the University of New Orleans when the first report of an "accident" at the World Trade Center. I looked at my wife and told her, "That's no accident." I don't remember there ever being a flight path for commercial airlines over lower Manhatten. Commercial helicopters maybe, but not aircraft.

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
4C73bVMm.jpg

"Never forget"

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I didn't have a television at the time so I was spending my time trying to figure out why my workplace was closed. Until the dumbest person I know told me what happened. And their inarticulation made it sound like an accidental thing. Yeah I remember that. In a weird way I am kind of thankful the info got to me in a staggered manner, I honestly think it helped process the event and keep a clearer head about it. I also remember afterwards thinking they're getting what they want and people are letting their fears rule them (I didn't really understand how fear worked too good back then), I felt that the biggest middle finger we could have flown for those assholes would have been to continue on without sudden and sweeping changes. That's what I remember about that. Stupid side note I still think that their stupid objective was to make themselves look big to frighten the people at home. I still think they actually thought there wouldn't be retaliation.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I was fresh in the Navy. About 6 months out of boot camp. They closed all the gates to the base and locked everything up until they could come up with a plan. It was definitely a turning point where it really sunk in that my "new job", wasn't JUST a job.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For me on the West Coast it was also surreal. I was up extra early, and turned on the TV, unusual for me at the time. My young son and I watched in disbelief for hours.

I couldn't believe it was an airline accident, but also couldn't believe it was deliberate until the second tower was hit.

I lived in Greenwich Village for a while, and had a good view of the North Tower being built.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A guy walking through the work room where we were watching the second tower hit on TV said in his Oklahoma drawl, "Well, now we know terrorists can fly airplanes." He is a Ph.D. geneticist and carried a can to spit his chaw. I served as a witness when he had his will notarized. Interesting fella, his own man.

Status
Not open for further replies.