PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've been using regular BJ Long tapered cleaners for a while and they work fine so far. But I looked at my stash and found that over my orders, I also have gotten some that are "bristled".

My question is whether or not there is any potential to damage the internals of a stem with those that are bristled? I am mostly a Peterson P-lip user, some acrylic, but more generally, the older vulcanite stems. I already have a concern about feeling the tip of the wire scraping the internals, and try to twist during insertion to minimize any damage.

Should I keep these out of my vulcanite stems? Should they be used only in acrylic stems? Should I use them only in the chamber and draught hole?

Do any others have facts / information regarding the bristled ones and my concern? Valid? Invalid? I haven't opened them or checked out their roughness yet...

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: kcghost and jbfrady

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Regular for a wipe after smoking. Bristles for deep cleaning. You maybe don’t want to use bristles on an artisan pipe that the maker has painstakingly polished the airway on. But otherwise they are fine. In my opinion that is.

Reactions: FLDRD and jbfrady

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I use the regular ones for everyday use and bristled occasionally for more intense cleaning. I typically use a shank and mortise brush for the serious cleaning so the bristled cleaners don't see much use. I don't think they hurt anything at any rate.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've been using regular BJ Long tapered cleaners for a while and they work fine so far. But I looked at my stash and found that over my orders, I also have gotten some that are "bristled".

My question is whether or not there is any potential to damage the internals of a stem with those that are bristled? I am mostly a Peterson P-lip user, some acrylic, but more generally, the older vulcanite stems. I already have a concern about feeling the tip of the wire scraping the internals, and try to twist during insertion to minimize any damage.

Should I keep these out of my vulcanite stems? Should they be used only in acrylic stems? Should I use them only in the chamber and draught hole?

Do any others have facts / information regarding the bristled ones and my concern? Valid? Invalid? I haven't opened them or checked out their roughness yet...

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't use the bristled cleaners with a stem as they could score the airway. Personally, I prefer White Elephant pipe cleaners for scrubbing out the stem airway. Not only are the wire spines much stronger than BJ Long, the type of bristle used is softer than the BJ Long and can scrub out an airway without scoring it. If White Elephant made a wider pipe cleaner I'd replace the BJ Longs for most of my needs.

The other alternative is buy some nylon shank brushes, which will last much longer than regular pipe cleaners and cut the cost of pipe maintenance.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Thanks all, much appreciated.
As my late mother used to say: that's as clear as mud.
I intend to follow your recommendations down to the very last detail...............

• Haha
Reactions: jbfrady

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
If they do anything at all, I don't care. I never use them. If they're too big for the bore, the bristles will lie flat when passing through. If too small, they won't do itshay. I've cleaned too many gun barrels to be impressed by anything that's not made to fit. Pipe cleaners are pretty much just wipes, but better than nothing.

Reactions: jbfrady