PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A forum member who knows who he is on another forum, contacted me to tell me that he is selling a pipe using my name is doing it through Refreshing Pipes.

Anybody thinking about buying this pipe should know that I gave no permission for the use of my name, and this was done without prior knowledge from me. I asked that my name be removed from this offer. It's an inaccurate and misleading claim just sell a pipe.

JOSEPH B. DESJARDINS ESTATE PIPE - JIMINKS SPECIAL - PRE WWII UNIQUENESS | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/286124041009

Last edited by a moderator:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
This guy obviously hasn’t figured out that the pipe community is too small to think you can do crap like this with impunity. It smells bad and the stink doesn’t wear off easily or quickly.

It brings to mind another thread here about people who think stealing someone else’s intellectual property is somehow ok because it’s intangible. I hope he tries this with someone who has the time, energy and money to sue his ass off.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This guy obviously hasn’t figured out that the pipe community is too small to think you can do crap like this with impunity. It smells bad and the stink doesn’t wear off easily or quickly.

It brings to mind another thread here about people who think stealing someone else’s intellectual property is somehow ok because it’s intangible. I hope he tries this with someone who has the time, energy and money to sue his ass off.
Even though the listing was changed as I requested, I think people should think about ordering from somebody who would do this. To my way of thinking, this act casts doubts about anything written or sold by him.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Trumpeting that someone has endorsed a thing when they haven’t is wrong on a dismayingly large number of levels - and the practice is becoming more and more prevalent. Good for you, @JimInks for standing up!
This isn't the first time it has happened. It is the first time I went public with it. Hopefully, it'll give vendors pause to do this to me again or others.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
This lowlife has really enjoyed his time SPENT on perusing and purchasing from ebay. Most of my 80 or 90 pipes were obtained in this fashion and while they're all mostly junk, I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had with the sellers or their pipes.
The most I ever paid was $47.00. Usually it was in the $20 dollar range and although, now that I think of it, there was one 'buy' I made for $52 dollars that included 9 unsmoked Medico briars. I've given one or two away and kept the rest in a box. Nothing to shout about, but still, I do treasure them.
I confess, that the original excuse was that these were investments to be resold at a profit, but that idea flew out the window quickly. Too much hassle for me to bother.
You curmudgeons with pipes are a finicky bunch.
I agree with Jim, use of his credentials w/o permission is a serious breach of trust.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
refreshing pipes appear to be saying that the owner was responsable for using Jims name,passing the blame on to him.
I would like to make apologies to any parties that were involved in today's title and description mishap. I am reconsidering accepting commissions from this owner and in the future will look at the description information much closer than I have been. If any positives have come from this, I have set a record for page views with ebay.

Do business not have a responsibility to check facts before listing,obviously not.