PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
IMG_0617 copy.pngI purchased this Butz-Choquin Rhodesian in 2016. At the time the brand was receiving a fair amount of love on various forums. It wasn't very expensive ($50 from Pipestud IIRC), I liked the shape, the bit was wide yet thin, just right IMO. Unfortunately, I didn't get along with it all, it had most, if not all, the bad behaviors of a poor smoker. After a few months I gave up on it, relegating it to an obscure location on the pipe rack. I briefly thought about selling it, elected not to for reasons I don't recall now.

A few weeks ago I decided to give it another try -- a wild hair moment I guess. I figured that if there was no change it would be time to move on from it. I cleaned it, reamed it and opened up the draft a bit and now what a difference from what I remember. It's not my favorite pipe but it has earned its place in the rotation. I suppose it could be due to my evolution as a pipe smoker or the small adjustment to the draft I made. Good news for me it is like getting a new pipe without spending any money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
View attachment 207935I purchased this Butz-Choquin Rhodesian in 2016. At the time the brand was receiving a fair amount of love on various forums. It wasn't very expensive ($50 from Pipestud IIRC), I liked the shape, the bit was wide yet thin, just right IMO. Unfortunately, I didn't get along with it all, it had most, if not all, the bad behaviors of a poor smoker. After a few months I gave up on it, relegating it to an obscure location on the pipe rack. I briefly thought about selling it, elected not to for reasons I don't recall now.

A few weeks ago I decided to give it another try -- a wild hair moment I guess. I figured that if there was no change it would be time to move on from it. I cleaned it, reamed it and opened up the draft a bit and now what a difference from what I remember. It's not my favorite pipe but it has earned its place in the rotation. I suppose it could be due to my evolution as a pipe smoker or the small adjustment to the draft I made. Good news for me it is like getting a new pipe without spending any money.

I learn something about every day about pipes, after a half century of smoking them.

I have opened up the draft on lots of factory smokers. It doesn’t hurt a thing, and I think it can help.

But what really helps a pipe is age.

Raw briar is unusable for pipes. It must be boiled to remove tannins and saps.

Then it must be dried, and preferably aged for even longer.

The Marxman and Lee pipes I smoke are older than me, and I’m 65 next month. They smoke better now than when Harry Truman was President.

Briar improves with age.

That we all did, you know?