PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So I smoked a bowl of McCranie's Red Ribbon this past week. It was delicious and it got me thinking about straight red virginias. What do you guys like? Have you tried the bulks like Altadis Red Virginia Ribbon? Or others? Is there anything comparable to McCranie's.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Roth
I agree on nothing being identical. But, IMO, if you are fresh to Va, then you won't notice a huge differene between RR and some 5100 with a year or two on it. I smoke Red flake like its going out of style, but I am not a fan of RR when I have to choose between the two.
Of course, YMMV, as always.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
chubbster wrote:
I smoke Red flake like its going out of style, but I am not a fan of RR when I have to choose between the two.
I'd be interested in hearing what the differences are in terms of flavor and strength. I've had an open jar of Red Flake (from 2006) hanging around since mid-December (which is a long time for me), and I just haven't had the hankering to go back to it very often. It can tend to be a bit harsher than I really like, I guess. But I'm wondering how that compares with Red Ribbon, which I've also got in the cellar (but haven't tried yet).
Bob

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Mcranies is blended by mcclelland. The guys at Mcranies choose their crop and leaf, and its tinned by Mcclelland. I believe it is a leaf by mcclelland, but exclusive to Mcranies, I believe...
If I'm wrong, someone please clarify as I would like to know exactly as well.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Mcranies is blended by mcclelland. The guys at Mcranies choose their crop and leaf, and its tinned by Mcclelland. I believe it is a leaf by mcclelland, but exclusive to Mcranies, I believe...
If I'm wrong, someone please clarify as I would like to know exactly as well.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Well I am up for sampling some 5100. I have been trying lots of new things with the intent to build my cellar, so I will have to get some to try soon, but I want to find bulks if possible such as this as it is just more cost effective.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
McCranie's Red Flake is made by McClelland. It is close to 5100. However, I sense that McCranie's has a little more body. Sam Gawith's Full Virginia Flake is my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.