PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2013
Hi Guys

This is my first post being a newbie. Im in the process of resoring a walnut stock on my rifle. The oiling kit that Im using has a red root oil. This is what the English gun makers have used for years on high end stocks. Do you think it would be suitable for the pipe bowl a Peterson Milverton to be precise.

Thanks in advance

jeffdevore

Lurker
Feb 15, 2013
Okay, this is going to sound kind of weird, but years ago I heard the best way to put a shine on a smooth briar was to use your facial oils by rubbing the area between your lip and chin or the side of your nose and apply that finger to the bowl. Sorry if you were eating your breakfast when you read that.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Okay, this is going to sound kind of weird, but years ago I heard the best way to put a shine on a smooth briar was to use your facial oils by rubbing the area between your lip and chin or the side of your nose and apply that finger to the bowl. Sorry if you were eating your breakfast when you read that.
"Nose Grease" according to my Pops. The first place he taught me to use it was when putting together the fishing rod on arrival at the honey hole. Now we were using it as a lubricant, not as a polish.
There's nothin' wrong with using nose grease, but I wonder about using oil to bring out shine on a waxed pipe. Something tells me that if a pipe is waxed adding oil will dull the finish when a simple buff with a dry cloth might bring out more shine.
-- Pat

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I know that periodic wipe downs with silicon gun/reel clothes will help to maintain them. I don't think the mentioned oil would be a good idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.