PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgsuartist

Lurker
Oct 11, 2023
If this isn't the correct area, please feel free to move it.
I'm trying to find a blend that tastes and smells like the old Camel Mandarin Mint and Izmir Stingers.
No idea where to start, so if anyone has attempted it, please let me know what you used.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
That's going to be a toughy! Those two Camel blends were my absolute favorites back in the day and I remember them well, though I haven't encountered any pipe tobacco even remotely close to matching their flavor profiles. There are some similar hookah tobaccos out there, but a finding something with those flavors that you can smoke in a pipe is probably going to require some custom blending.

For Mandarin Mint you're going to need to start with a light menthol RYO cigarette tobacco as a base, something like Golden Harvest Green (which always tasted pretty similar to Camel's menthol to me), then find a really bright and sweet orange flavored pipe tobacco to mix in; though I'm not sure I've ever even seen an orange flavored pipe tobacco before so that may be a challenge to acquire. (Edit: I've not tried it myself so I couldn't say how well it would work, but Rattray's Exotic Passion seems to be a well regarded orange flavored pipe blend.)

Izmir Stinger should be a little easier to recreate, and I'd recommend starting with Sutliff Strawberry Delight as the base. There's not many strawberry flavored pipe tobaccos out there but that's the best I've found. From there you'll want to mix in a bit of a chocolate flavored tobacco, though I don't have much experience with chocolate aromatics so I couldn't recommend a particular one to go with.

I hope that gives you a good starting point though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs. Pickles

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
If this isn't the correct area, please feel free to move it.
I'm trying to find a blend that tastes and smells like the old Camel Mandarin Mint and Izmir Stingers.
No idea where to start, so if anyone has attempted it, please let me know what you used.
Are you looking for a tobacco to roll into cigarettes?

bgsuartist

Lurker
Oct 11, 2023
That's going to be a toughy! Those two Camel blends were my absolute favorites back in the day and I remember them well, though I haven't encountered any pipe tobacco even remotely close to matching their flavor profiles. There are some similar hookah tobaccos out there, but a finding something with those flavors that you can smoke in a pipe is probably going to require some custom blending.

For Mandarin Mint you're going to need to start with a light menthol RYO cigarette tobacco as a base, something like Golden Harvest Green (which always tasted pretty similar to Camel's menthol to me), then find a really bright and sweet orange flavored pipe tobacco to mix in; though I'm not sure I've ever even seen an orange flavored pipe tobacco before so that may be a challenge to acquire. (Edit: I've not tried it myself so I couldn't say how well it would work, but Rattray's Exotic Passion seems to be a well regarded orange flavored pipe blend.)

Izmir Stinger should be a little easier to recreate, and I'd recommend starting with Sutliff Strawberry Delight as the base. There's not many strawberry flavored pipe tobaccos out there but that's the best I've found. From there you'll want to mix in a bit of a chocolate flavored tobacco, though I don't have much experience with chocolate aromatics so I couldn't recommend a particular one to go with.

I hope that gives you a good starting point though!
Wow, great starting points, thank you! That's very helpful and I'm going to ask my local shop if they have or can get any of that.

Go to a RYO shop. We have one here that has dozens of RYO brands to pick from. They even have a lot of the Peter Stokkebye stuff. I can ask the guy that runs the place, and he can line up the tobacco, and paper and filter combos to make any brand cigarette. I haven't been in there for years, but I have noticed that he has started selling glassware, ha ha. Maybe check with a glass pipe store nearest you. puffy

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
Status
Not open for further replies.