Recommendations for “Torpedo” Shaped Cigars.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Afternoon all cigar chewers,

Does anyone have any recommendations for torpedo shaped cigars that won’t break the bank?

Please take into account that I live in the U.K so any type of tobacco breaks the bank but some cigars don’t need as large a mortgage as others! ?

All help, gratefully received.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Cuban Monte Cristo # 2 and Bolivar Belicoso Fino. Something for less money that is still very good is Padron 6000. Most brands have a torpedo shape in their life up, but and try a few. You're paying a premium for this shape as it is more difficult to roll.
Typical - why can’t I want to try cheap things?!?!? ??

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Not to burst your bubble, but unless the blend is significantly different or unique to the vitola like Monte (Petit) #2 and Parti P, you better off with buying a standard parejo. Paying premium to snip off more than a standard parejo, draw issues due to difficult construction and not a lot of room to use a perfect draw... But again there are blends unique to the vitola and I would suggest to stick to those.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I love torpedoes and pyramids. These Puros Indios are $4 each at holt’s if you get a box of 20. View attachment 142170
and these are the other pyramids I have but have not tried. I don’t recall the prices or know UK availability however.
I will certainly look into these but, without checking, I’ll pretty much guarantee that these will be around £15 - £20 per cigar if they are available over here; that seems to be the going rate for an “average” cigar.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I don’t know what they go for now, they used to be quite reasonable and one of my favorite cigars. Partagas Series S Esplendido. Not a large cigar, but a tasty one.

I haven’t bought a cigar in about 15 years and I couldn’t believe how much the prices have changed in that time. Most of the cigars I was buying then cost roughly twice as much now.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I don’t know what they go for now, they used to be quite reasonable and one of my favorite cigars. Partagas Series S Esplendido. Not a large cigar, but a tasty one.

I haven’t bought a cigar in about 15 years and I couldn’t believe how much the prices have changed in that time. Most of the cigars I was buying then cost roughly twice as much now.
Yeh, I’ve just had a look for them and they aren’t available here but I have found two empty boxes with a price of £28 so I shudder to think how much they’d cost if I could get hold of them. ???

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Yep, as I thought, that’s coming in around £34.99 ($43.90) per stick or somewhere in the region of £315 ($390) for a box of ten; at least these are available over here…I just wish they weren’t so expensive.

The levels of pricing I'm seeing currently weren't so bad 2 years ago. I know the UK has had bonkers taxes for years, but there were a lot of options for ordering internationally that avoided this. Supply issues and a steady exodus out of the Cuban factories and Habanos SA has exacerbated the problem to biblical proportions.

If you really adore the torpedo shape and like new world tobacco, there are a lot of fantastic options out there - it all depends on which blends suit your fancy. Start with popular cigars that fit your budget and go from there.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Geez I feel for the OP. I wouldn’t even bother smoking cigars if the cost 44 usd per.
This is the issue. Cigars are nice every once in a while but, since the U.K left the E.U, imported cigars get stopped by the Customs mob and they get £60+ tax put on them, depending on how many you get, making them virtually pointless to buy. I can often fancy a pipe soon after a cigar so I might just stick to the briar.