PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leemiro

Lurker
Nov 3, 2018
I took apart this Colibri Elite FTR 37000 over 15 years ago, when I was young and stupid. Now I’m trying to revive it, but I suspect that I made mistakes reassembling back then. I have a spring that doesn’t seem to fit anywhere. (The good folks on Reddit helped me identity a second mystery piece, which turned out to be a back plate for the flame adjuster.)
Currently, the lighter sparks, but doesn’t ignite. When I attempt to refill, I hear a hissing sound and feel gas/air coming from the valve. This sound continues for a minute after filling. I have purged repeatedly and am using Colibri butane.
I assume that the spring is the missing piece of the puzzle. So far, I've tried placing it over the rod for the flame adjuster and under the metal plate that lifts the burner head. Neither seems a good fit.
Any insight is appreciated.
Here is a video of the mechanism that releases the butane when the lid is lifted.

[/url]Video
And here are some photos.

R1jmvYy.jpg

786pBv1.jpg

RefUpy2.jpg

KWmz9Qd.jpg

leemiro

Lurker
Nov 3, 2018
Thank you!
Yes, I installed the silver rod piece that pushes against the plate when the lid is closed. I did indeed forget to include it in the disassembled pic. You can see it in the video I linked to, too.
I will put the spring under the black piece sticking up and report back. Thank you again for your insight. Really, very much appreciated.

leemiro

Lurker
Nov 3, 2018
The gas comes right back out of the filling valve on the bottom. I can actually feel it.
I tried placing the spring in the locations you named, but realized afterward that I goofed and put the spring above the bar (ie: the silver plate piece). The spring is a tight fit under the bar/plate--it won't fit under the brass valve in the center. I have one more spot to try--sort of floating under the bar to the left of the brass valve. I was going to try it last night, but my spring jumped into the air and then it took me forever to find it :)
The brass valve does lift and lower without the spring, as you can see in the video.Here

But I dunno, maybe it's not lifting enough? Or maybe the filling valve is clogged?
I'm going to have time to fiddle with it again tomorrow night.

leemiro

Lurker
Nov 3, 2018
Shoot. Well, I'm glad I asked. I've been fiddling with it for a long time. If the fill valves are shot, is there anyway to replace them?
In the meanwhile, my spring bounced across the room last night, apparently into another dimension, so I have to hit pause until I find it.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Currently, the lighter sparks, but doesn’t ignite. When I attempt to refill, I hear a hissing sound and feel gas/air coming from the valve. This sound continues for a minute after filling. I have purged repeatedly and am using Colibri butane.
That sound, from past experience, can also be a dried gasket. I don't know about this model, but the valve on colibris usually have a rubber gasket somewhere - sort of like an o ring, that if it dries up it leaks gas. Also, my experience with Colibris isn't a pretty good one. I had 2 cigar lighters sent in for repairs until I just gave up. Ignition problems, refill problems, etc etc. You may save yourself some headaches if you write it off as a loss ... although this is a pretty one I must say.

leemiro

Lurker
Nov 3, 2018
A plastic bag--wish I thought of that! I've dropped little pieces before and always found them, but I still haven't recovered the spring yet. It ricocetted pretty good.
Yeah, if I knew then what I know now, I would never had bought a Colibri--a fancy collectible one, at that. It was a gift to my boyfriend and he doesn't want to part with it. I hope it has a future beyond being a pretty paper weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.