Reamer Recommendations

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Just getting into restoration after picking up ~50 estape pipes while in Vienna (and adding more as I am addicted to the hunt being back in the US of A). Just gearing up to start the work, and looking at reamers. I have a Kleen Reem from "that E place" coming in a few days. I've been hunting for a Pipnet but cant find anything (except $$$ one on Amazon). So considering the Scotte or Decatur versions - both readily available and ~$15-20. I'll get/buy/make a 'fitsall/oyster-knife type thing eventually but seems the PipNet style does a lotta good for other people.

Can't wait to see how these pipes clean up! Pretty excited to see a few of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
More than half of my pipes are estates.
I have both Pipnet and Reem Kleen,but have used the Reem Kleen just once - to try it out.
The Pipnet is what I use all the time.

The extra cost of the Pipnet is worthwhile considering the large number of pipes you are planning to restore

Reactions: Kirklands

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, I will be sanding on a dowel as well, but some of the ones I got have very thick cake built up.
For cutting through cake build up prior to a final sand paper over shaped dowel, I prefer a Pipnet for cylindrical chambers. The Chinese knock off marketed under the Castleford name is a piece of crap in comparison. I also have a set of Swedish made reamers for odd sizes, and a Buttner for conical chambers.

Reactions: OzPiper and JeremyL

Kirklands

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2023
Kansas City, Missouri
I broke the handle on one Pipnet knockoff (a Castleford) and then got another. I also have a Kleen Reem, which is less useful than I hoped it would be, although I may need to be patient and learn to use it better. Another that I like a lot is a little spring-loaded Bradbury Pocket Reamer. I like having several options depending on the pipe. I do pipe refurbishing as a hobby.IMG_20240720_201058_3630941452081930064.jpg

Reactions: JeremyL

Jan

Lurker
Jul 20, 2024
New Zealand
Be careful with any two-bladed reamer as you can do more damage than good. It tends to catch high spots in the chamber and you'll end up with uneven cake at best or unusable pipe. I would try a little alcohol to wet the cake and when soft, use the knife to remove most of the build-up and finish with course sandpaper. Don't sand to bare wood, leave at least 3 mm of cake in the chamber.

Best regards Jan

Reactions: seanv and JeremyL

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I use pipnet on the rare occasions I ream my pipe, I know Geore Dibos prefers the triangular shaped reamer but that is a sure recipe for disaster if I used that one.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
A small sharp pocketknife has worked for me. Take a few minutes and take your time. Ive seen a lot of pipe damage from reamers. When you get the bulk of the junk out you can change to something more gentle.