PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I went to my local b&m to buy Marlin Flake. They told me it's been discontinued!!!!

I am very sad. I don't smoke much but Marlin flake is a favourite.

I shall be very sad for sometime!

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
I see that you are in UK. As I'm sure you know, despite its Scottish roots Rattray's is now blended by K&K in Germany. From what I can find out online, it looks like Rattray's (all blends, not just Marlin Flake) is being discontinued in UK due to change in trade laws and importation costs post-BREXIT. Other brands also being mentioned in same breath are MacBaren and Robert McConnell. On the flip side, read that Samuel Gawith tobacco (which is produced in UK) is no longer going to be available in Germany. So while all these tobaccos are still being made, which countries you can/cannot purchase them in may vary. Of course there is always the mail order option...

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I see that you are in UK. As I'm sure you know, despite its Scottish roots Rattray's is now blended by K&K in Germany. From what I can find out online, it looks like Rattray's (all blends, not just Marlin Flake) is being discontinued in UK due to change in trade laws and importation costs post-BREXIT. Other brands also being mentioned in same breath are MacBaren and Robert McConnell. On the flip side, read that Samuel Gawith tobacco (which is produced in UK) is no longer going to be available in Germany. So while all these tobaccos are still being made, which countries you can/cannot purchase them in may vary. Of course there is always the mail order option...
That's really good news as I cycle in Europe ever year. I will stock up.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
You had me really frightened there for a moment , thought all my favorites were dead or about to die. Stock up your cellars , one day it really could all go…

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
Not sure where you saw this but not based on reality.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Picked that information up on another pipe smoking blog/forum where the same issue was being discussed. If you have information to the contrary would be interested to hear. Thanks!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Picked that information up on another pipe smoking blog/forum where the same issue was being discussed. If you have information to the contrary would be interested to hear. Thanks!
@gawithhoggarth is the online representative (chief, cook, bottlewasher, and likely other rolls) at the company you made a representation about so I'm guessing the information is first hand.

In other words, you heard it from "the horse's mouth".

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
@gawithhoggarth is the online representative (chief, cook, bottlewasher, and likely other rolls) at the company you made a representation about so I'm guessing the information is first hand.

In other words, you heard it from "the horse's mouth".
That's great. I'm sure our European friends will be interested to hear more from him on what the real situation is over on that side of the pond! :)

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
That's great. I'm sure our European friends will be interested to hear more from him on what the real situation is over on that side of the pond! :)
Brands mentioned are not being discontinued and Samuel Gawith's will be available in Europe soon and already is in a number of countries. And it's "her", not "him". ;)

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I just finished another bowl of Marlin Flake in my 63 Dunhill. It was the perfect smoke. What a genuinely wonderful tobacco. It had a few years of age on it, so I don't know if that changed the taste much, but I am thinking I need to get a few more tins. Are there any other lovers of this really smooth smoking blend on the forum?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I really enjoy it. Its a great and tasty blend.

I dont think its likely that it will be discontinued in the US as K&K keep trying to reach their arm across the Atlantic with things like the HU brand.

Im not going to get political becuase we are here and I also dont have a dog in the fight but brexit rules made life very difficult for nearly every business outside the UK. It was like they magically thought that they could produce everything they want and need within the UK. I did good business in the UK but brexit killed it. No one picked up the slack in the UK. My old customers now either pay a lot for imports or do without. They also made it a nightmare for businesses on the supply side. They thought everyone would bend to their will. The fact is a HUGE number of business shook their heads and walked away....yours truly included.

Reactions: Uguccione