PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Blossom Temptation is a Golden Virginia/Broken Flake/Black Cavendish based blend flavored with Cherry and Black Currant. It comes in the 100g, “jewelry box” tin and the tobacco is in a cellophane bag. While these type tins are beautiful to look at, the tobacco dries out over time. Where with most aromatic you can grab a pinch and it clumps together, Blossom Temptation (and other Rattray’s packaged this way) doesn’t stick together.

My experience with Exotic Passion (formerly known as “Exotic Orange”) is a strong aroma of honeyed orange when I open the package (or jar). What I find with Blossom Temptation, is a subtle cherry note reminiscent of a crushed ripe black cherry with an undertone of black currant. The aromatic notes seem to mingle well with the base tobaccos - neither overpowers the other.

My first two bowls were in a German clay pipe to set the baseline for when I smoked Blossom Temptation in a briar or meerschaum. When taking an unlit draw, my impression was almost the same as when I smelled the blend in the package - subtle. The first few puffs after lighting was surprising in that I got more tobacco taste than fruit. The flavoring became more apparent as I smoked it but never reached a point where it hid the tobacco. The flavoring did disappear as I got to the bottom of the bowl.

I found Blossom Temptation easier to light if packed somewhat loose. I packed it too tight they first bowl and it made the draw difficult. I dumped the bowl on a paper towel and then repacked it more lightly and it was easier to light. Once I figured out the packing, I was able to smoke the entire bowl without relighting. The low moisture level also meant I found no goop in the bottom of the bowl.

When I compare Blossom Temptation to other cherry blends I’ve smoked, I find it to be not as “in your face” as CAO Cherry Bomb or Gawith Top Black Cherry. I did find it reminded me of Bjarne Viking Erik the Red in that it didn’t leave me with a chemical aftertaste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good recommendation for what seems an interesting blend. It seems Forums members have inched over the years toward a selective but enthusiastic acceptance of aromatic blends, after the consensus that most aromatics are over-flavored and without much tobacco flavor. Now I think most of us consider them an excellent change of pace, if not our preferred smoke. Given that we are all quite picky about which aromatic blends we choose.

Reactions: anotherbob and dcon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Good recommendation for what seems an interesting blend. It seems Forums members have inched over the years toward a selective but enthusiastic acceptance of aromatic blends, after the consensus that most aromatics are over-flavored and without much tobacco flavor. Now I think most of us consider them an excellent change of pace, if not our preferred smoke. Given that we are all quite picky about which aromatic blends we choose.
I love how often times a blend will talk about how much latakia is in a blend either directly in percentages or more in hints like (full bodied, mild, medium...) but aromatics rarely do and for me personally that makes a big difference. I like aromatics alot but some of them could be the flavor applied to cardboard for all I can tell by the taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.