PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I like the visible quality of both brands, a little more the designs of L'Anatra. Now, my issue is that although I can find several positive reviews about the excellent smoking quality of Radice's pipes, I don't find many opinions either for good or bad about L'Anatra. There are many reviews about its grading system, and about the quality of the wood used, but a lot less about smoking impressions.
Is there anyone who has tried both and could give me an opinion about how they compare in smoking experience?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Radice Rind and a L'Anatra poker. Love the both of them. The L'Anatra is a large pipe but weighs very little. I think the smoking quality is equal to my Radice and Ser Jacapo's and I have never had an issue with it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
...I guess not. I, for one, keep an eye out for a L'Anatra with an appealing shape, and when I find it, that will be my next purchase. I would have no doubts about the quality. I believe they're made in the same shop as Ser Jacopo -- or they're somehow related. Al Pascia usually has a nice selection, and they're a great place to do business. Looks like they might be adding more inventory soon.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Don't have either but was also wondering about L'Anatra. My sights are on a Radice now and my finger is tightening by the hour.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks to all. Now I am torn between a Calenda or a 3 Eggs, both rhodesian bents from L'Anatra...

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
carlosviet, I own two L'Anatras pictured below. Both are beautiful and both are fantastic smoking pipes. I have not smoked Radice pipes.

click on picture to enlarge:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Beautiful pipes, Captainbob. Are they similar in the draw? How is it, easy or tight?

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
They are both similar in the draw and fantastic smoking pipes. Not tight at all!________________________________________________________________________________________________

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Radice pipes... I have 5 or 6. All are absolutely fabulous, from new Rinds to estate Barks. I don't have any smooths... Need to rectify that!
No experience with the duck head hood ornament brand but have read only great things.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
L'Anatra pipes are graded in eggs 1 thru 4, 4 being high grade, also note the have 2 seperate sizes of pipes lg and xlg don't remember the exact wordage on the pipe to denote,
I have bought 3, 1/2egg 1/3egg, 1/lg, all were excelent quality wise, ended up trading for more Ardors before ever smoking them tho.
Beautiful fit and finish, A+
Sorry can't help more

Status
Not open for further replies.