PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I hope to hear from @JimInks
I can get Quiet Nights but its double what I pay for everything else in the EU. Ive tried a number of HU lat blends and Im wondering if Balkan Passion is close to this blend. It has the same components but thats never the whole story.

If I have to pay I will pay. Its still not as bad as some folks have it. Anyway I’m open to suggestions and interested in what people think of the two.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: jbfrady and JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I hope to hear from @JimInks
I can get Quiet Nights but its double what I pay for everything else in the EU. Ive tried a number of HU lat blends and Im wondering if Balkan Passion is close to this blend. It has the same components but thats never the whole story.

If I have to pay I will pay. Its still not as bad as some folks have it. Anyway I’m open to suggestions and interested in what people think of the two.

Thanks in advance
I'm a bit reluctant to answer your question because K&K has made so many changes to so many blends that I don't know whether or not the latest Balkan Passion is the same as it was when I smoked it years ago. If you can get it cheaper than Quiet Nights, I would suggest buying one tin, and check it out. You'll never know any other way whether you like it better or not. Wish I could be of more help, but I'm sure you understand my dilemma in giving you a concrete answer.

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I've never personally tried HU Balkan, but it was likened in its write-up to a camp fire. In @JimInks review this time a decade ago, he noted a slight topping (albeit one that didn't detract from the overall profile) and that it left moisture in the bowl. Even if Kopp has changed things around, the form of prep should be similar.

Quiet Nights is more like a campfire that just got put out. Not only is there no topping, but the Latakia is unwashed, making for one of the sootiest blends I've ever tried. It's dry from the get-go and it tastes like what I'd imagine the 1870's tastes like.

Were it me, even being a fan of Quiet Nights, I'd likely opt for the HU if it's half the price. Minus Haymaker, I haven't found any of their blends - even those recently made by Kopp - to be disappointing.

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've never personally tried HU Balkan, but it was likened in its write-up to a camp fire. In @JimInks review this time a decade ago, he noted a slight topping (albeit one that didn't detract from the overall profile) and that it left moisture in the bowl. Even if Kopp has changed things around, the form of prep should be similar.

Quiet Nights is more like a campfire that just got put out. Not only is there no topping, but the Latakia is unwashed, making for one of the sootiest blends I've ever tried. It's dry from the get-go and it tastes like what I'd imagine the 1870's tastes like.

Were it me, even being a fan of Quiet Nights, I'd likely opt for the HU if it's half the price. Minus Haymaker, I haven't found any of their blends - even those recently made by Kopp - to be disappointing.
I'm sure BP is still good whether or not it's exactly like it was. If I was able to buy it, I would just to see what I thought about it now.

Reactions: jbfrady