PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenoshakid

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2013
Once a tin of tobacco is opened, how long is it good for? Also, when you cellar tobacco, is it okay to pinch from the jar occasionally or does that interrupt the aging process? Thanks.
Edit; Moved to Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions, L.

Yours is a very good question. I think many new pipe smokers will benefit from this discussion.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
How long an open tin will last really depends on the climate where you live, but I dump the contents in a bail top jar as soon as I crack it open. As for the aging, yes, opening a sealed jar will re-introduce air into it, therefore stopping the anaerobic fermentation.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Lumberjak summed it up nicely. Some blends I leave in the tin for a while - I like my SG flakes drier then they come fresh from the tin, so I leave those out for a couple of weeks.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My open tins will last for months because I store them in air tight plastic containers. If you set tobacco aside to age, you do not want to open the jar and take pinches.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Are there health risks associated with leaving tobacco in open tins for longer periods? Or is this simply an issue of keeping tobacco fresh to preserve flavour/smoking quality?
I don't smoke often (once or twice a month) and would hate to have to dump the two tins I've been picking from since January. I am keeping the tobacco in their tins, in a light tight environment, at room temperature.
Thanks,
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.