PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
When I smoke I always end up getting a bit of buildup/blackening on the bowl rim. I was planning on lightly cleaning the rim with alcohol and then applying carnuba over the entire bowl. Is this the best solution or is there a better way?
Thanks

Jul 15, 2011
If youre just looking to get rid of some slight rim char after every smoke, some good old saliva on the end of a q-tip works really well with just a little elbow grease. Now if you have some serious char buildup, heres my secret: Take a shank brush and dip it in some really hot water, then scrub away. 10 minutes of work and that rim char will be gone.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
For a quick cleaning after a smoke I spit on a Q-tip and wipe the rim. Alcohol may take out some of the stain.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Yeah dont mess up the stain/ finish on the bowl a little spit and elbow grease works fine. If its rusticated use a brush. old toothbrush or shank brush works great.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Also when you need to relight you can lick a finger and coat the top of the bowl in saliva to help prevent any rim char.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Scrub with water and a Q-tip til it comes off. If it doesn't... I don't know what to tell ya.
If it's real rim char then the wood is burnt, and that doesn't come off.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I use lemon juice on the rim of my pipes as part of my regular cleaning routine. I place a few drops on a paper napkin and rub it in. Then I rub another clean napkin with a few drops of tap water to remove the lemon juice. I find that it works better than spit to maintain clean rims. If the rim is already burned then sand paper is the only remedy to get down to fresh wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.