PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Just a few questions for anyone that wants to discuss this topic (which has already been discussed).
#1: Why was there a general trend towards plastics in Italian pipe-making?
#2 Is “pearlized” a meaningful category in stems? What is it?
#3 I’ve seen BBB’s tortoise stems described as having a vulcanite-like feel. Is this a fantasy or is it real? If real, how did these plastic stems achieve this effect?
#4 If higher-end Italian pipes, like Castello, make higher quality plastic stems (compared to a lower end Savinelli), HOW do they do it?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I also want to know these answers. Other than my meers, I'm very picky about my stems. I sold my first commission, due to a terrible looking button (I'm not a carver, no skill). But I know what to expect when I receive a pipe.

I was afraid of vulcanite for the longest time. Now it's on top of my list.

If a pipe is drilled well, most pipes smoke the same to me. But if it's a great smoker with a crappy stem, it'll lose every time.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Acrylic is cheaper than ebonite, and it never needs maintenance.

"Pearlized" is kind of like metallic flake, just a little shimmer in the rod (as far as I have seen it used in regard to rod colors).

There are grades of acrylic/lucite which are slightly softer, some are really brittle feeling, but no, there is no rubber-soft lucite that I'm aware of.

I'm not sure what the question is for your last part... "how" does anyone do anything? They take more care, they polish the insides, they make a comfortable button (monday and wednesday anyhow).

When I make a stem out of acrylic, it's functionally identical to a stem I've made from ebonite. Same details, same sizes, same processes. So.... that's how?

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Acrylic is cheaper than ebonite, and it never needs maintenance.

"Pearlized" is kind of like metallic flake, just a little shimmer in the rod (as far as I have seen it used in regard to rod colors).

There are grades of acrylic/lucite which are slightly softer, some are really brittle feeling, but no, there is no rubber-soft lucite that I'm aware of.

I'm not sure what the question is for your last part... "how" does anyone do anything? They take more care, they polish the insides, they make a comfortable button (monday and wednesday anyhow).

When I make a stem out of acrylic, it's functionally identical to a stem I've made from ebonite. Same details, same sizes, same processes. So.... that's how?
Right. The last question is more like, “what goes into making a higher quality acrylic?” “What characterizes higher quality acrylics?” You’ve answered it I think. In vulcanite, higher quality might not oxidize as quickly or they may not be as susceptible to dents. They feel more comfortable. In plastics, I guess it’s as you say. Any idea why Italians mostly drifted towards plastic? I know there are many exceptions, including Becker and some lines of Savinelli.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
PMMA or Poly Methacrylate comes in different grades for want of a better turn of phrase. It would appear that the old PMMA stems in Castello pipes are harder and potentially more brittle than the now used Acrylic, I seem to remember some reference to this in the Castello book. I also know that Castello has some rods of the old PMMA in storage for use on special addition pipes such as their 75th Anniversary which has just passed( these stems are a toffee colour swirl and are definitely harder than just the plain black acrylic). The green, red, yellow and purple stems on the old Castello's will be harder than any current iteration and is the old PMMA.

Here is an exert from the promotional blurb when the 75th's were released.

"The details are refined and unobtainable. Like the mouthpiece, made of mother-of-pearl plexiglass. An effect born in the ’70s but now out of production. An unobtainable finish that will leave its mark with this particular collection of pipes that will honor the 75th year of Castello"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PaulRVA and milk

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
And what about Ashton stems, what material is that? Awesome thread. Also I kind of like the Castello stems, they feel of higher quality for some reason, I think it’s the smoothness of the stems, and the roundness of the button.

Reactions: milk