PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdrew

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
Hey guys, first new thread so if there are any errors please be patient.
So since I started (about a year ago) I've used filters in my pipes. I usually change them after about two days of use and try to never let them get too dark or soggy. But everything I read says that you shouldn't use them for various reasons. However when I take the filter out I end up getting mouth fulls of soot. I blow out the pipe and run a cleaner through the stems but about halfway through a bowl it never fails to pull some nasty ash into my mouth.
So any tips? Is it really that bad to use filters?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
If you like them use them. Otherwise it's possible to either replace stems of add non filter adapters.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Preventing ash and embers from entering your mouth is the best possible reason to use a filter.

Exactly why this is happening is another question. If it only happens with one particular pipe,

then you don't have to turn in your pipe smokers ID card. :puffy:

drdrew

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
Well the reason I'm just now starting to care is that I ordered a new pipe that is filterless and I'd like to avoid the ash. So far it only happens on my Missouri Pride so I suppose it could just be that pipe.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Insert between thumb and index finger of left hand .Thump with index finger of right hand and go for distance .Never look back . :twisted:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome aboard DrDrew!

Great question!
I see no practical purpose for filters.

Some say they remove moisture and give a better tasting smoke... (Sounds counterintuitive to me).

Cooler possibly but not better tasting... IMHO
I have a couple of pipes that are designed for the use of filters...

I use Igloo's procedure for ridding myself of their influence.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I would think if you are pulling in a lot of ash into your mouth, you might be packing too loose. Try packing tighter next time you smoke without the filter and see if that helps!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I would think if you are pulling in a lot of ash into your mouth, you might be packing too loose. Try packing tighter next time you smoke without the filter and see if that helps!
Yeah, my theory is if you pack it like John Holmes used to do, you'll end up a satisfied user.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
So far it only happens on my Missouri Pride so I suppose it could just be that pipe.
Straight Pride with no filter is asking for ash and tobacco bits in the mouth, its like a straw into the side of the bowl! I put a rock-maple tube (ok, so I lopped the end off of a Brigham filter) in the airway of each of my Prides to reduce the draw, problem solved.

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
I'm a fan of filter pipes, and at the moment, all my filter pipes are Savs, so I use the balsa filters, and I don't have a problem with them.

I really don't have anything to compare them to... but as for filter pipes in general, I prefer them over non filter pipes mainly for reasons already discussed.

drdrew

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
Wow, thanks for all the responses. Also good to know that using a filter isn't some big no-no. My MM Pony Express came in. So far it's a great little piece and smokes very cool with no ash in the mouth.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I've noticed cobs sometimes getting ash in my mouth... actually it JUST happened! So I cleaned it out, set it back, and am smoking my grabow now. Never been a huge fan of cobs, but I might just have to get an uncle arthur stem to sort that out! :mrgreen:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Cobs like to do that because of the way the shank is inserted into the bowl. Pack tight and be careful when tamping at the end of the smoke, or you may actually push ash into the shank. The "Draw Hole" is shaped like a freakin' shovel on cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.