PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hoipolloiglasgow

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2023
United States
So, here recently I got some of the new SG Balkan and Navy Flake. Anybody have any recommendations on how to smoke this stuff? I’ve had it drying for 5 days now and it still isn’t a very good smoke. Tasty yes, but sopping wet. I suppose it’s PG laden, which I wish they wouldn’t do. They did pressurize their tins as of recently. I remember a thread about this recently, but can’t find it. I’ve tried drying it, maybe it needs longer…? I’ve tried breaking it down really fine and it still sticks together. I swear, this stuff is fire retardant.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I used to think Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake was drenched in propylene glycol because it seemed soooo wet (and flame retardant, sometimes even fire proof), but, it would appear it’s not—it’s just shipped incredibly moist. I’ve found that several hours, or even several days of drying time helps. But, cube cutting the flake and gravity filling also helps. This would also apply to the blends you’re asking about. Good luck!

hoipolloiglasgow

Oct 14, 2023
United States
I used to think Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake was drenched in propylene glycol because it seemed soooo wet (and flame retardant, sometimes even fire proof), but, it would appear it’s not—it’s just shipped incredibly moist. I’ve found that several hours, or even several days of drying time helps. But, cube cutting the flake and gravity filling also helps. This would also apply to the blends you’re asking about. Good luck!
I just bought some of that stuff too. Was hoping that it wouldn’t be the same way. I think I’m going to have to buy an herb grinder and toss it in then spread it out on a plate. It’s been 6 days wide open now and both are still unsmokeable. That’s crazy to me. I know they don’t want their stuff to dry out in the silver tins, but damned. It’s a bit ridiculous. As stated before, I am happy they have been pressurizing their tins though.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
The dampness isn't anything new. People have been kvetching about it for decades (maybe centuries.) What works best for me is to rub it out completely (if it sticks together, give it a little more time to dry then continue rubbing), and fill the pipe fairly loosely. And then to tamp very lightly when smoking, preferably with a finger, in order to keep it from getting too compacted.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Smoking moist pipe tobacco can be very difficult, but doable.
Break it up or cube cut, then pack it the light side of medium.
Then its just light.....relight.......relight.......relight......
Somewhere between 6 and 6,793 relights, it will burn great.
Ooooooor, you can dry it for 4 days and it STILL will need a dozen relights.
Ive given up on the REALLY wet stuff.
FVF is fantastic when dried, but extra fantastic if you can get it lit right from the tin.....in my opinion.

Reactions: BingBong

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Am I mistaken in the belief that in the UK propylene glycol and other “non-natural” chemicals are verboten in tobacco?

Drying is easy here in AZ, I learned yesterday that GH Black Irish X coins can become potato chip crisp on a dashboard in the sun at 15 minutes…

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Cube cut, gravity fill, and light with no drying.
The dampness isn't anything new. People have been kvetching about it for decades (maybe centuries.) What works best for me is to rub it out completely (if it sticks together, give it a little more time to dry then continue rubbing), and fill the pipe fairly loosely. And then to tamp very lightly when smoking, preferably with a finger, in order to keep it from getting too compacted.
^^^^^ Can't get better advice than the above.

Either cube cut and gravity fill.
Cube cutting flakes was a game changer for me.

OR rub out completely ie into loose ribbons, dry, then pack loosely.
It's dry enough if you take a pinch and it doesn't stick together.

And tamp lightly.

Disclosure: I use meer chips or Nording Keystones.
This creates an airspace under the tobacco so you don't get a soggy mass (?mess) of dottle at the bottom of the bowl.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, here recently I got some of the new SG Balkan and Navy Flake. Anybody have any recommendations on how to smoke this stuff? I’ve had it drying for 5 days now and it still isn’t a very good smoke. << Snipped bits out >>
Where do you live? If in the Southeast, you have a tough time drying tobacco.

BingBong

Apr 26, 2024
London UK
SG Navy is notorious in my household for its fire retardant properties - it is one that I've never tried rip, fold and stuff but have reduced to 3mm bits and even then... but I wonder if it makes much difference? Next tin I open, I won't break it down and I bet it takes the same half dozen lights to ignite. Tasty tasty smoke is the big reward, though.

Reactions: anotherbob

seaweed

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Maine
Pop it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. You’ll have a hell of a time air drying it in Alabama. Add 2-3 seconds at a time to get it just right. Doesn’t sound like a lot of time, but tobacco dries quickly in the microwave.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Just a reminder.......
Drying tobacco with heat (dashboard, microwave, oven, hairdryer) will change the flavor of the tobacco. Maybe for the better, maybe not.
You are essentially "stoving" the tobacco.

Reactions: anotherbob

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
I'm convinced these blends contain asbestos.
Leave it in the open tin for a few weeks and it gets better. Agree that it burns better with a cube cut. As tiny as possible.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Age for 10-11 years. Rub out. Toaster oven on low for a min and half (285 degrees). Then just dump in bowl and enjoy. Don't pack. 2013 tastes great. Enjoying some now.