PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

RCastle

Lurker
Jul 10, 2024
Been using the BJ Long's Fluffy pipe cleaners for a number of years, alongside Tapered Bristle cleaners by Stanwell. The store i use to buy these from stopped selling the fluffy pipe cleaners so i purchased the extra absorbent ones made by Brigham; as I like their regular thickness pipe cleaners.

When I got my package home and opened the pouch of Brigham's Extra absorbent i was surprised they are about as thick as 2 regular pipe cleaners side by side. At first i thought these were 2 pipe cleaners that got stuck together by the cotton fiber during production. I tried using them to go through some pipe stems, however, they are so thick they would likely end up permanently stuck in the stem.

I am doing something wrong? For now i am using them to clean out the shank/stummel of the pipe, and they do an excellent job with that task. The only "stem" they go down is the part of my Nording pipe (the type that takes the volcanic clay pebbles in the base the bowl fits into) l with the "mini" stem/mouthpiece detached.. Are there any tricks to fitting these down an average sized pipe stem, or are the pipes i am trying to use these too small for these cleaners? Or is there another purpose for these pipe cleaners?

Last edited:

grimpeur

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
The only time I've used the extra-thick cleaners is with stem out, cleaning the mortise after a good scrubbing. Otherwise, I also find them not practical for general use.

Off topic...I have been sorely disappointed with Brigham regular cleaners: the wire has way too much give. I can get Zen cleaners locally, to cover running short until my B.J. Long cleaners come by mail.

RCastle

Lurker
Jul 10, 2024
The only time I've used the extra-thick cleaners is with stem out, cleaning the mortise after a good scrubbing. Otherwise, I also find them not practical for general use.

Off topic...I have been sorely disappointed with Brigham regular cleaners: the wire has way too much give. I can get Zen cleaners locally, to cover running short until my B.J. Long cleaners come by mail.
I tend to gently/slowly roll the cleaners between my thumb and index finger while inserting in order to avoid the cleaners bending on the way into the stem. BJ long makes excellent cleaners overall. I'll likely get their fluffy cleaners next go around. i have some old bristle cleaners that are rather soft that will work as a fine stand-in for regular stem cleaning until then.

Reactions: grimpeur

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I stopped using BJ Long fluffy cleaners as they shed fluff much as a cat does during moulting season.

I removed a half inch plug of fluff once from one of my bone-tenoned stems when I was using BJ Longs.

I now use BBB fluffy cleaners - these hardly shed at all.

I have a variety of cleaners - straight, tapered, bristled, long, and
(Falcon and Stanwell) narrow cleaners.
And as advised by @condorlover1, the coloured cleaners from craft shops for my ancient pipes with very narrow bone tenons

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Fluffy pipe cleaners are great for cobs and other pipes with a wide open draw. Since I smoke those at least half the time, I keep a lot of fluffy pipe cleaners on hand. I often have to bend the ends straighter and run them through my fingers to brush off loose bristles, but so far that trade-off has been worth it.