PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I got tired of waiting on Pipemaster’s Clean & Cure back orders to be filled, so I bought a bottle of Everclear (190 proof) for pipe cleaning. At this strength, would I risk damaging my pipes if I were to use it for quick stem cleanings after every smoke?
If the stems are acrylic or plastic just run hot water through them. Vulcanite is fine to use a pipe cleaner dipped in everclear and run it through, I don't use it on the outside of the stem, and still run a bit of cold water through after. Make sure not to get any on the pipe's finish though. I only use everclear every 5-6 smokes through my stems and the from the mortise to draught hole.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I use a pipe cleaner dipped in everclear through the stem and shank every so often, and I’ve used it on quite a few acrylic stems. Never had a problem. I’m always very careful to dab off any excess before I run the pipe cleaner to avoid dripping and/or splattering in unwanted places. As others have said, definitely do not get it anywhere near the finish on the stummel.

Reactions: futureman

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
You could use it full strength to run through stems and shanks, but make sure you only dip the end of a cleaner in it, just a little so it doesn’t run all over the stem.

I use 151 on Acrylic, and Vulcanite, no problems.

Don’t ever get it on the pipe anywhere, or kiss your finish good bye, where that stuff lands.

P.S. Try not to drink it on those blue days either! LOL ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Everclear, or pretty much any alcohol is fine for Vuncanite. Use warm warter and pipe cleaners dipped in unscented dishwater goet to clean out the airways on Acrylic stems.
Fuck me and my shitty typing skills. I meant to write "unscented dishwashing gell" I have no idea what "dishwater goet" is and I am taking a hammer to this keyboard and buying another.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have used Everclear for 20 plus years and it works great if used carefully. I only use it for deep cleanings. I clean the piss out of my pipes using bristle and fluffy pipe cleaners after every smoke. I don't have to do deep cleans that often because of my after a smoke regiment.
I did do one shot of it over 20 plus years ago and vowed to never do that again. Stuff is nasty to drink.