PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
I think this may have been asked many times.
How does the type of tobacco (Burley, Cavendish, Virginia, etc) affecting the taste of smoke?
Personally I like aromatic or sweeter taste.

Should I avoid some type of tobacco?

Is there certain type of tobacco gives/makes better aromatic tobacco?
Most of the articles I found is "textbook answer".

To be honest, I prefer personal experiences rather than that....

Could you guys share you point of view of some of your favorite tobacco with me?
Thanks

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
kennyjo,
There are a lot of opinions about Members liking or disliking certain types of tobacco.

However; The first "I shoulda had a V-8" moment for me is when I actually looked up the various types of tobaccos you mention in Wikipedia... You'll have at least a foundation upon which you can build your knowledge of tobacco blends.
It's a good place to start without getting too lost in the weeds. :D

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Indeed mate. If you ask a question: What do you think of Hal O The Wind, for example, and 100 people respond, you will have x amount who like it and x amount who don't and x amount who are on the fence. Out of those 100 people you will also have x amount who can taste this and that in it and who find it strong and who find it weak and who find it mild etc. Bottom line mate, you will recieve 150 different opinions. Go to the tobacco reviews, read up on as many as you like, then buy what you can afford and decide what is for you. In 16 yrs, I have found many baccy's that I like, but still not my "Holy Grail". Good luck mate and enjoy

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
+1 fisher, thats about the long and short of it. Add in the whole thing with aging, lighting with matches vs lighter, tamping and smoking speed you can have the world of difference in opinions and descriptions of flavor

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you like sweeter blends, try some stoved Virginias. Stoving emphasizes the sweetness of the tobacco without adding toppings. I strongly recommend McClelland's Blackwoods Flake.
Burleys can offer a "nutty" taste. Even an unflavored cavendish will add some sweetness.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
+1 with Jud
I find my Virginia's to be sweeter, but the higher sugar content can lead to burn in the mouth if smoked too fast.

Toppings and casings can add anything to the tobacco, so regardless of the base tobacco, any aromatic can be pretty darn sweet.
As nsfisher said, just play around until you find what you like

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
OK, this may sound like a "textbook answer", but bear with me.
1. Burley tobacco has low natural sugar content and high nicotine. Very little natural taste but burns cool. Generally cheaper and used a lot for cigarettes.

2. Virginia tobacco has high natural sugar content and low nicotine. LOTS of natural sweetness but can burn hot (due to all the sugar) and a bit more expensive than burley.
These two are the bases of almost every tobacco blend you'll ever smoke (again, I said "almost").
OTC ("Over The Counter") blends like Captain Black and Prince Albert have their fans, but are generally cheaper quality burley blends with lots of artificial flavors and chemical preservatives added.
Tobaccos like latakia and perique are like spices; added in small quantities to create a overall different flavor. Latakia adds a smokiness and perique adds a "pepperiness".
"Aromatic" tobacco is a catch-all category for either burley or virginia tobacco with flavorings added, like cherry or vanilla.
My advice is to buy the best quality tobacco you can afford. McClellands, Cornell & Diehl, and Hearth & Home are some of my personal favorite blenders. All use the highest quality leaf and offer a wide variety of blends.
Good luck.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
+1 to Mick and bigvan on Virginias burning hot, which they can indeed. You have to sip those - smoke 'em slowly - learn how to appreciate them.
And I am right with bigvan on smoking the best tobacco you can afford. While I enjoy the American Classics, especially in a cob, they are nothing like the experience you can get from a fine Virginia or English/Balkan blend.

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
I just realize why I get the first 3 replies....
I am sorry that I did not make my question clear....

I was trying to find some opinions about tobacco leaves instead of tobacco blends....
How about Kentucky, Oriental and Turkish?

Can someone tell me something about them?
Also, what is the different between Cavendish and Black Cavendish?

I am smoking the "Black Cavendish" from Altadis (I believe that is a pure black Cavendish blend).

I find that there is some "salty" taste (and I get the same taste from Barbados Plantation)....

Is that how black Cavendish normally tasted or what?

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
+1 to Lawrence ... do your research.
Pipedia is a good spot, but there several others.
You are certainly right to be curious, I'll tell you. The different major types of tobacco are indeed very different tasting and otherwise have different characteristics. Discovering them and deciding what you like is a bit of a journey and adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.